Whether you are an experienced dog owner or a newcomer to having a canine companion, you are sure to know that training can be the most difficult part of any aspect of life with a dog.
Certain puppies and dogs can be far more stubborn than others in their bad behaviors, such as digging up your prized petunias, pulling on their leash when out for a walk, or constant and unwavering barking that goes way past the point of simple communication.
There are various methods of training available- all of which require time, patience, and understanding of your dog- but one of the most controversial methods is the dog training collar.
Dog training collars have long been a subject of debate within the community of dog lovers and owners. These collars are often considered the least humane method of training, and there is certainly some validity to that theory.
Certain training collars- such as prong collars- can be both physically and mentally scarring for a dog, but there are other collars that can be effective in their training methods whilst not being cruel or harmful.
Strong shock collars tend to be painted in a negative light- and for good reason- but most training collars don’t use much of a shock at all.
A lot of collars implement various forms of correction- such as through sprays, vibrations, or ultrasonic noise-, but those that do utilize shock use a level of static shock that is a similar feeling to the static shock that we humans get.
Still, shock collars are not for everyone, and they certainly aren’t appropriate for all dogs, such as older dogs who might have underlying health conditions that could be exacerbated by collars such as these, or very young puppies who are far too young to cope with a training method such as static shock collars.
It is always best to do your research as thoroughly as possible when it comes to a topic as sensitive as a dog training collar, and that is where we come in!
We have compiled a list of some of the best dog training collars that are particularly effective for stubborn dogs, as well as a buyer’s guide so that you know exactly what kind of collar you should look for regarding your dog and their specific behaviors.
Dog Care Rechargeable Dog Training Collar With Remote
This dog training collar is a highly versatile one, offering three separate modes, as well as a remote control with a range of up to 330 yards.
The three modes that it offers are vibration mode, static mode, and beep mode. These names are pretty self-explanatory, but let’s take a look at what each offers nonetheless.
- Vibration Mode: the collar will vibrate to get your dog’s attention, working well for dogs who are reactive to touch.
- Static Mode: a small jolt of static electricity (resembling the feeling that we humans will get from a static shock). This shock is monitored by an output microcurrent that will only last 4 seconds.
- Beep Mode: A beeping noise is emitted from the collar, which would be more effective for dogs who respond well to sound.
All three modes have adjustable intensity settings, so you can decide on a softer beep, vibration, or static shock, or a more substantial one.
The shock element of the collar is minor, but if it is still enough to make you uncomfortable, then you can opt to only use the vibration and the beep settings.
The handy remote control that comes with the collar lets you train your dog from a distance of 330 yards, making for a great option if you have a dog that tends to wander off or tries to break away from the leash.
The remote and collar use an intelligent signal connection- which also uses anti-jamming tech-, offering a stable and strong connection no matter what the environment.
Whether it is at a park, in your backyard, or on your regular walk around the neighborhood, the remote element of the collar can make all the difference during training.
The collar also has an automatic shutdown function, shutting itself off after eight hours if it hasn’t been used. The automatic shutdown can also work at night, turning off to make sure that the battery is not wasted whilst the collar is not being used whilst you and your dog sleep.
You can also recharge the battery of the collar with an easy-to-use USB charging port, which can connect easily to any accommodating power source, such as a laptop.
It takes 2 hours each to charge both the collar and the remote separately, whilst the collar has a standby time of 15 days and the remote has a standby of 45 days.
The Dog Care collar is also waterproof, meaning that you can still use it without hurting your dog or yourself when the weather is bad. The collar remains safe thanks to the protective rubber pin cover, which effectively blocks out any water.
The cover needs to be secure on the collar, though, so make sure that it is completely secure before you go out in the rain.
Whilst we are on the protective nature of the collar, it also has a security pad key lock to ensure that no accidents occur in case of pressing the wrong button.
The adjustable nature of the collar- made of nylon with a buckle and strap to tighten or loosen it- makes it well suited to different sizes of dogs, with a recommended weight range of 15lbs to 100lbs.
- Offers three different training methods.
- Long-range remote control.
- Adjustable size.
- Long-lasting battery that is easily charged via USB.
- Battery-saving, automatic switch-off function.
- Security keypad for added safety.
- Has static shock training, although you do not have to use it.
- Not one of the largest ranges when it comes to the connection between the remote and the collar.
- 3 Training Modes Correct Bad Habits; DOG CARE dog training collar with remote for dogs equipped with 3 safe training modes: beep, vibration, and static mode. The static mode of DOG CARE training collar for dogs can adjust from 1 to 99 shock levels, fits dogs with different sensitivities
- Safety Keypad Lock; The security keypad lock of DOG CARE shock collar with remote prevents pressing the shock button by accident; And the shock feature of the remote control dog collar ensures the output microcurrent only lasts for 4 seconds, effective but safe to dog training
- Adjustable Straps Fits 15-100 Lbs Dogs; The strap of shock collar DOG CARE is 27 inches long. This DOG CARE shock collar for dogs is long enough to be adjusted on both sides which prevent any uncomfortable feeling of your dog
- Long Standby Time and Easy Recharging; This rechargeable dog training collar can be fully charged in two hours; The standby time of remote control dog collar is 15 days, and that of remote is 45 days; It is very convenient for travel
- Up to 1000ft Control Range; Use dog collar shock with remote in any outdoor spaces with your dogs; Throw away your rope and use this ecollar dog training collar, give yourself a more relaxing and enjoyable outdoor activity with your dog
NBJU Bark Collar For Dogs
This next collar is especially aimed at getting your dog out of the habit of wayward barking. Much like the first collar that we discussed, the NBJU Bark Collar also features three different training modes: beep, shock, and vibration.
Again, the shock element isn’t going to be suitable for everyone, but it isn’t a necessity.
Whilst the beep mode is always functioning and cannot be turned off, the vibration mode has an output setting of between 0 and 7 (0 being switched off and 3 acting as the default) as does the shock mode (though the default for the shock is 0).
The beep mode is the primary function with this collar, with the shock and the vibration modes being optional inputs that you don’t ever have to even turn on.
Protective silicone covers come with the collar to be placed on the prongs to ensure that your dog’s skin is protected, whilst a buckle, slider, and the adjustable strap of the collar itself allow for it to be placed on a small, medium, or large dog (so long as they have a neck circumference of between 8 inches and 25 inches!).
The collar is charged via a simple USB charging port and lasts for around 12 days when charged for 30 minutes, which is pretty impressive battery life!
As well as that, the bark collar is also waterproof to allow for training in wet weather without any risk of harm to your dog.
- An adjustable collar makes it useable for small, medium, and large dogs.
- Three training methods.
- Protective silicone covers.
- Waterproof for outdoor training.
- Strong battery.
- Shock mode and vibration mode can be turned off.
- Available in five different colors.
- Shock mode is still present, which might make some dog owners uncomfortable
- Can be harmful to a dog’s skin if the silicone covers are not put on the prongs properly.
Also available on NBJU.com.
- Humane, Effective Anti Barking Helper: The NBJU dog bark collar offers 3 working modes that are customizable with 7 adjustable sensitivity levels, allowing you to select the mode (beep, vibration, or shock) and sensitivity level that best suits your dog's temperament. With this bark collar, you can find the most effective way to curb your dog's barking without causing them stress or pain, gently correcting their barking issues
- Automatic Stop Barking in 0.1 Sec: Use an upgraded smart sensor and premium chip for more accurate detection of your dog's barking. It activates quickly when your dog barks, reminding them to follow the rules and control their barking. The collar will only be activated when worn by your dog, preventing false triggering from other sounds or dogs
- Scientific and Safe Training Collar: Dog training should be both scientific and safe. The NBJU bark collar is equipped with a protection system that temporarily stops working for 1 mins if it has been activated 5 times in a row. This helps to protect your dog from unnecessary punishment. And the collar is equipped with silicone sleeves that can protect your dog's skin
- Quick Charge& Long Battery Life: NBJU Bark collar recharge with high capacity battery, it can be fully charged in 30 mins for up to 15 days of work time, this device has a long enough battery life so you don't have to recharge the batteries frequently
- Comfortable for all sizes of Dogs：The bark collar is light, the collar strap is sturdy and adjustable for the length of the dog's neck( fits for neck sizes 7.8" - 25" dogs around 8 to 120 lbs), this dog bark collar is suitable for small, medium and large dogs. IP67 waterproof ensure it can be able to work normally in rainy or humid environments without damage
Pet Union PT0Z1 Premium Training Shock Collar With Remote
This next collar- from Pet Union- has four different training modes, including the vibration, beep, and static shock modes that the other collars we have looked at utilize.
It also has a fourth mode that uses light to indicate power and the channel status between the remote control and collar.
This collar can be used to break a wide variety of habits that are found commonly amongst stubborn dogs, such as leash training, aggressive behavior, and barking to name a few.
The static shock and vibration training modes can be customized from any level between 1 and 100 to suit your personal preferences, as well as the needs of your dog in terms of behavior and listening to commands.
The beeping training mode will provide a loud warning to your dog, whereas the vibrations and shock modes can act as negative reinforcement.
However, the manufacturer does provide a warning with the shock mode, advising that it is only to be used in extreme situations.
It is refreshing to see a company put this warning on the shock training mode of their collar to reinforce the idea that shock training should only be utilized safely and responsibly when there are few other options.
This collar also boasts a long-lasting, lithium-ion battery that can be recharged, as well as a mode called Auto Power Protect, which aids with the conservation of battery life when the collar is not being used.
The remote that comes with the collar is also an excellent addition, allowing for two dogs to be trained at once if you so wish thanks to the impressive remote range of 1200 feet.
The backlit blue light design of the collar also makes it possible to undertake nighttime training too. In terms of sizing, the collar is adjustable and can be used for any dog between the sizes of 10lbs up to 100 lbs.
- Four different training modes with a wide range of customization.
- Long-lasting, rechargeable battery with a power-saving mode.
- Suitable for a wide range of dog breeds.
- Backlight allows for training even when it gets dark.
- The remote control has an exceptional range that can be used with two collars to train two dogs simultaneously.
- A shock method is once again a training option, though this particular brand does come with a warning to advise that this is not the most effective method of positive reinforcement when it comes to behavioral dog training.
Also available on Walmart.com.
- The Ultimate Dog Training Collar - Immensely popular, fully waterproof e-collar used by expert trainers and first time pet owners. Can be used to help correct barking, walking, leash training, sitting, aggression, and other behavioral obedience
- LCD Remote with Adjustable Shock and 4 Modes - 1-100 level of customization for both the static stimulation and vibration. You can also use a tone (beep) mode which will give an audible warning. Shock, vibration, and vibration modes
- Long Lasting Battery Life - Rechargeable rapid charging lithium ion battery provides a long lasting battery life. Auto Power Protect Mode helps conserve battery life when not in use
- For All Dogs 10 LBS & Up- Fits all dogs from 10 to 100 lbs. Can also be used to train 2 dogs at once with remote range of up to 1200ft!
- Dog training collar LCD has a blue backlit design for both day and night. Shock setting only recommended in emergency situations and is not advised as a form of positive behavioral training
PATPET Shock Collar For Medium And Large Dogs
As the name would suggest, this is a training collar that is best suited for larger and medium-sized dog breeds, with the recommended weight being from around 8lbs to 110lbs.
The Patpet collar is another that offers three training methods: the standard beep, shock, and vibrations.
It can be used when training your dog out of a fair amount of behavioral issues, such as compulsive chewing, digging, nipping, biting, and- of course- barking.
This is another choice of training collar that comes with a remote and allows you to control two collars at the same time, which is useful if you have more than one dog in need of some behavior training.
The range of the remote helps with this too, ranging from 984 to 3000 feet.
This vast range lets you train your dog in a variety of different spaces, including large, outdoor spaces like a backyard, a park, or even a wooded area. The waterproof material can also let you train in the rain too.
You don’t have to worry too much about battery life with this training collar either, as it has a rechargeable battery with a long life that can be charged to full capacity within two hours.
The lightweight nature of the collar is also a useful feature, making it easy to carry around with you for training on the go.
The collar features a safety lock as well, making sure that your dog can’t accidentally do themselves an injury if they touch or move the collar by mistake.
- Remote control with an excellent range that allows for a wider range of training areas.
- Waterproof with a security lock for your dog’s safety.
- Three standard training methods.
- Convenient for traveling with.
- Suitable for various dog breeds.
- Again, this has a shock collar element that some owners might not want to use.
- For 10 to 90 lbs dogs. Smaller and more lightweight receiver collars are suitable for dogs from 8 to 110 lbs. This e collar is suitable for dogs over 6 months old
- Support 2 collar receivers. You can choose the effective training modes to correct barking, chewing, biting, digging, and other dog behavior problems
- 984 to 3000 ft range, IPX7 waterproof. This remote can be up to 3000 feet in open areas with no obstructions. You can train your dog indoors, and outdoors easily and freely
- Rechargeable, long battery life. This dog shock collar for medium dogs can be fully charged in 2 hours and is convenient to carry
- On off button. The on off button is more like a security lock, which can prevent the dog from being touched by mistake
Wolfwill Waterproof Rechargeable Humane Remote Dog Training Collar
This is one of the training collars on this list that doesn’t feature a shock feature in the slightest, which might be a selling point for some buyers.
Instead, the Wolfwill humane dog training collar offers sound mode- which will make a disruptive noise to get your dog’s attention-, vibration mode- similar to the other vibration modes we have discussed from the other training collars listed here-, and light flash mode, which blinks five times with each press of the button from the remote control.
Whilst we are on the subject of the remote control, this particular controller has multiple functions- including adjusting the levels of the vibration mode anywhere from level 1to level 16 -, reaching up to 660 yards for a large range of control, a touch distinguished design an LCD backlight display.
In terms of dog breeds that can use this collar, it should fit any dog between the size of 22lbs and 88lbs, with a neck size of 8.7 inches to 19.3 inches.
The lithium-ion battery is built into the collar and is relatively long-lasting, with a 2 hour charging time. The Wolfwill training collar also has some handy accessories that go with it, including a belt clip and a hanging neck strap.
- No use of shock training.
- Remote control with a significant range and various other features.
- Lithium-ion battery with a good level of charge.
- Suitable for a wide range of dog breeds.
- Comes with various accessories.
- Skin damage risk to your dog if worn too tightly.
- Not appropriate for more aggressive dogs.
- No automatic power-saving function for the battery.
Also available on eBay.
- 100% WATERPROOF - IPX7 waterproof rating receiver with Durable ABS shell, TPU strap and tightly-sealed rubber plug on the charging hole, NO more worry about stepping into water, LET YOUR DOG ENJOY SUMMER'S COOOOL SWIMMING! It might not work for some aggressive dog or dogs with thick fur.
- MULTIFUNCTION WIRELESS REMOTE - With LCD backlit display, 3 working modes: Tone, 1-16 levels of adjustable Vibration and Light, up to 660yard large control range in 433.92MHz frequency, able to control 2 collar receivers simultaneously(buy another collar if needed)
- SIMPLE BLIND OPERATION - Special Touch-distinguished Design of the 3 main buttons, easy identified button location that allows you to freely make any training demand without looking at the remote transmitter, fits all dogs from 22 to 88lbs in the neck size of 8.7-19.3 inch.
- QUICK RECHARGEABLE & CONVENIENT HUMANE DESIGN - Built in large capacity li-battery, 2 hours Quick charge for long time working, while the transmitter will auto shut off power if not use, effectively save battery power, come with splitter charging cable for same time charging both transmitter and receiver. Plus, equip with sturdy Belt Clip and hanging Neck Strap, free you hands
- Humane No Shock - Train your dog to stop running off harmlessly and correct their behaviour, suitable for most deaf dogs and other small dogs, but not for some aggressive dogs
Educator E-Collar Humane Dog Training Collar With Remote
The Educator is a little different when it comes to training collars, working uniquely (and looking different from its competitors too!). The collar is another that does not enforce static shocks as a method of training.
Instead, it uses a vibration tone and a Pavlovian tone- which can be alternated- to try and train your dog to associate certain behaviors with the tones. It uses the lowest possible level of blunt stimulus for your dog to ensure a humane and safe experience.
The Pavlovian tone is similar to the vibration tone, but it provides more of an intense, tapping sensation that can be highly effective in dog training.
The collar has stimulus levels of between 1 and 100 available, offering a variety of options depending on whether your dog needs a little or a lot of training (as well as a lock-in feature that lets you lock down the stimulus level that works best for your dog).
There is also an additional boost option available, with a stimulus level of between 1 and 60 should you require a little extra.
This collar is appropriate for dogs over 5 pounds in terms of weight, but it is only able to be used with one dog at a time. The controller itself is shaped like a stopwatch, with a bright yellow base and a small antenna at the top.
There are also various buttons on the controller, including the aforementioned stimulation boost. The ergonomic design of the remote control makes for easy use and portability.
- Ergonomic controller design.
- Does not feature any shock training.
- The stimulus level can be changed accordingly and locked in.
- Waterproof remote- with rechargeable battery- and Biothane collar.
- Different stainless steel contact points accommodate different breeds and the kind of hair that they have for their coat.
- A more expensive choice.
- You can only train one dog at a time.
Also available at Ecollar.com
- The Mini ET-300 one dog system with 1/2 mile range, small receiver for dogs 5 pounds and larger
- Includes 1 Biothane dog collar (3/4" wide x 30" long), 1 RX-090 mini receiver (2" long x 1.5" wide x 1" high, 2.4 oz.) and 1 Mini ergonomic "stopwatch" transmitter (2.6" diameter x 1.1" thick x 4.5" high) well-suited for small hands or in situations where discretion is important
- Delivers a tapping sensation similar to vibration, but more intense, making it an effective addition to the stimulation
- A Pavlovian tone feature provides an effective addition to the stimulation
- User-selected stimulation levels range from 1 to 100 with additional boost stimulus selectable from 1 to 60
SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainer
This collar is another that features a corresponding remote control to aid with training, with a relatively good connection distance of up to 500 yards.
Although this isn’t as far as some other dog training collars that we have seen here, it does allow for up to three dogs to be supported in their training at the same time with the one remote and separate collars.
There are three training methods included with this collar: Beep (a tone or sound), nick (a static simulation), and buzz (vibrations).
The nick option has 21 different levels of static stimulation (which is a similar feeling to static shock, but not quite as harsh) that can be altered easily with the remote.
You can also decide whether you want a one-time static stimulation or a continuous one.
The remote itself is waterproof, able to be submerged within 25 feet of water thanks to the use of DryTek technology. It also features a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that can charge fully within 2 hours and can last up to 50 to 70 hours.
It also alerts you when the battery is running low so that you can charge it accordingly.
In terms of the size and the breeds of dogs that can use this collar, it can fit a neck of between 5 and 22 inches and a weight of at least 8 pounds, allowing for a relatively wide range of breeds to be able to use the training collar.
- Waterproof for versatile training environments.
- The rechargeable lithium-ion battery can last between 50 and 70 hours.
- The collar does not utilize shock training.
- Able to be used with various dog breeds.
- Allows for up to three dogs to be trained with the same remote.
- A relatively small remote to controller range of 500 yards.
- It could get expensive if you do want to train more than one dog at a time, as you will need to purchase separate collars for each dog.
Also available at SportDog.com.
- 500 YARD RANGE: e-collar that can support training up to 3 dogs with the same remote with purchase of additional collars (SDR-AXS). For dogs 8 pounds or larger with neck sizes 5" - 22"..Product Dimensions : Receiver without strap - 2.60"L X 1.30"W 1.23"D., Remote Transmitter with antenna - 5.30"L X 1.70"W X 1.00" D
- NO LOOK OPERATION: Designed for ease-of-use and no look operation while offering more levels of stimulation which allows for more customized training.
- TONE, VIBRATE, AND STIM: This electric e collar offers 21 levels of static stimulation with medium/high ranges. Option to train with vibration (buzz) and tone (beep), too.
- WATERPROOF: Submersible to 25 feet using DryTek technology.
- RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: Lithium-ion batteries charge in 2 hours and last 50-70 hours per charge. System has low battery indicators.
There are a wide range of factors to consider if you find yourself in the market for a dog training collar. Let’s go through some of the most important points to think about before you jump into a purchase.
Some dog owners may not be happy with the idea of shock collar training, and this is certainly an understandable concern. This is the main reason why collar training is considered the least humane of the training methods commonly used with dogs.
However, various collars offer either little shock, the option to not use the shock feature, or that cut that element out entirely, opting for safer and more humane techniques like vibrations and noises.
Consider what training method would suit your dog best before you decide on a collar.
Do You Have Multiple Dogs That Need Training?
A fair amount of these collars have a remote control that will be able to connect to several of the collars at a time.
This will mean that you will have to invest in more than one collar, but it could be an idea if you know that you have numerous dogs that require some training!
If you want to be able to conduct some training with the collar whilst you are your dog are out for a walk, you will want to look at the durability of the collar that takes your interest.
You will need to make sure that it is built to last. A waterproof collar and remote would also be ideal if you are a fan of long walks in case of sudden rainfall.
Comfort For Your Dog
This is the absolute most important factor to consider, as the last thing you want is a collar that is detrimental to your dog’s physical and mental state. Try out different kinds of collars and gauge your dog’s reaction.
Even if a certain training method might be recommended, it can end up having a highly negative impact on your canine companion if it causes them pain or distress.
The Size And Weight Of Your Dog
Make sure that you have read all the specifications carefully before purchasing a dog training collar.
Whilst a lot of them are accessible for a wide range of dog breeds and sizes, some are best suited for medium or larger breeds whilst others work best with smaller dogs.
You don’t want to end up subjecting a small dog to the same kind of training that is intended for a large dog, or vice versa.
Make a note of your dog’s weight so that you know exactly what kind of collar is going to be the most suitable for them. If you are ever unsure, consult your vet for advice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Training Collars Safe For My Dog?
As long as you follow the instructions exactly, there is no reason that a training collar should be unsafe. Some basic safety points to remember would be to not leave the collar on for too long.
Also, when it comes to the level of stimulation within a collar, always try and find the lowest possible levels to avoid distressing your dog with too much training.
Shock settings should be an absolute last resort and should only be used on dogs who can cope with that kind of stimulation, so they wouldn’t be suitable for very young dogs, very old dogs, or dogs with health problems.
When Can You Start Using Training Collars With A Puppy?
It might seem like a training collar is the best way to start breaking bad habits with puppies, but this is not necessarily the case.
Technically, a puppy could start getting used to training collars from around the age of ten weeks, but a more natural method of training- positive reinforcement with treats and negative reinforcement with the appropriate punishment- would likely be beneficial to try with puppies first.
If you do opt for a training collar for a puppy, only choose those that do not implement shocks.
Vibrations, noise, and light are the best choices for such a young dog, as they are still learning the basics of commands and concepts. These are methods that aren’t quite as intrusive or intense, making them better suited for an impressionable puppy.
What Is E-Collar Dog Training?
E-Collars refer to dog collars that are used with a wireless receiver and remote, much like some of the collars that we have mentioned above.
They are a new, modern method of dog training that utilizes various forms of signals to teach your dog. They can be expensive, but they can be an excellent training tool if used correctly.