If you’re a dog owner then you’ve no doubt come across the enemy of all pets; the dreaded flea.
Keeping your hound scratching all day long, these unwanted guests can bite, spread and live on your favorite furniture, carpet, and bedding for many, many months. Yikes!
As well as the tiresome itching, these pesky parasites can also cause severe problems for your furry friends.
If you have a sensitive or flea-allergic dog then the itching can, in some cases, lead to hair loss, inflammation, secondary skin infections, as well as disease, and even tapeworm.
Something no owner would want their dogs to go through.
We know how important it is for any pet parent to keep their fur-babies safe and well, so, how can you prevent an infestation, we hear you ask?
Luckily, we have 5 of the very best flea collars out there, guaranteed to keep those fleas at bay and your dog itch-free.
If you’re searching for something that starts working right away, then Bayer’s Seresto Flea and Tick collar is your number one choice.
Designed to start working within 24 hours of it being applied to your pet, this odorless and non-greasy collar continues to provide 8 months of flea and tick prevention, which thankfully means you can say goodbye to those annoying monthly treatments.
By continuously releasing the two active ingredients used to control fleas and kill ticks, this collar works by spreading the formula from head to tail, covering your dog’s coat and skin with its protection.
Unlike many other prevention products which require fleas and ticks to first bite your pet to work, this collar kills them through contact so no biting is required.
If your dog is a keen water baby, then this is a perfect choice for you. The Seresto collar is water-resistant and continues to work after swimming, shampooing, or after being exposed to rain and sunlight.
However, if your dog swims once a month or more, this will reduce the control duration by a few months.
Specifically designed for larger dogs, this collar also helps treat and control sarcoptic mange and kill lice which may also trouble your dog from time to time.
- Works immediately – Begins to work within 24 hours of application.
- Further protection – This collar also combats sarcoptic mange and lice.
- Protection period – Continues to protect your dog for 8 months.
- Pleasant – Odorless and non-greasy and can be worn alongside other collars.
- Control duration – Reduced if your dog swims once a month or more.
- Irritation – This can occur with some dogs.
- 8-MONTHS OF CONTINUOUS PROTECTION: Provides 8-months of continuous flea and tick prevention
- WORKS THROUGH CONTACT: Seresto flea and tick collar for large dogs works through contact, so fleas and ticks do not have to bite your dog to die
- VET-RECOMMENDED: Veterinarian-recommended flea and tick prevention for dogs in a convenient, odorless and non-greasy collar; No need for messy monthly treatments
- STARTS WORKING WITHIN 24 HOURS: Starts to repel and kill fleas within 24 hours of initial application
- FLEA AND TICK COLLAR: Flea and tick collar for large dogs also helps treat and control sarcoptic mange and kills lice
If you’re looking for a collar with high protection then this is the best choice for you.
It’s specially formulated to keep fleas and ticks, as well as another five hundred plus insects, off your pup for a full 8 months.
Made with durable materials and easily adjustable for both big and small dogs, this collar is suitable for most breeds and sizes, and keeps working even during those rough play times – perfect for a hyperactive puppy.
Powered by 5 essential oils, this collar is gentle on your pup’s skin and has zero harmful chemicals that could potentially irritate your furball.
It also helps to keep your dog’s coat soft and healthy while warding off those blood-sucking nasties.
A small percentage of users have reported seeing the odd flea on their pet while wearing this collar, but the majority of users are impressed by its protection and are happy with the overall results.
- Ingredients – All natural and non-toxic.
- Adjustable – 25 inches of collar length for a perfect fit.
- Protection – As well as fleas and ticks, it helps to protect your dog from over 500 insects.
- Waterproof – And also allergy-free.
- Coverage – Some users have reported seeing the odd flea on their pets.
- Hassle-Free Dog Flea & Tick Control - Our flea collar for dogs is specially formulated to keep nasty fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, and other 500 insect species off your pup. You won’t have to worry about puppy during walks. as it is puppy flea and tick treatment
- Powered by 5 Essential Oils - Enhanced with a selection of 5 natural and pure essential oils, our flea collar for dogs has zero harmful substances it is dog flea and tick treatment that could be harmful to your pooch. It’s gentle on your pup’s skin, but potent in keeping fleas off.
- Long Lasting Protection - Our flea and tick collars are made with durable materials to keep your pooch protected even during rough plays. These collar for dogs can keep your pup protected for 8 months.
- Adjustable for Flea and tick prevention for small dogs and Large Dogs - With 25 inches of collar length, our dog flea collar can be adjusted and trimmed to perfectly fit your pup. This flea and tick collar for dogs is made to cater all pooch sizes.
- Keeps Your Pup Happy and Healthy - We made our dog flea and tick collar with potent essential oils to make sure our Puppy Flea collars are safe from insects and nasties. Play and explore more places to create valuable memories, instead of worrying about ticks!
If your dog is occasionally walked in gloomy weather or at night, then this highly reflective flea and tick collar is an ideal choice.
You can ensure that your pooch stays parasite-free while also maintaining high visibility during those nighttime walks thanks to the Reflect-X shields which reflect direct light for up to 450 feet; an added safety element for any pet owner.
The Hartz Ultraguard Collar is also highly water-resistant so walking in the rain or taking a quick swim won’t affect its ability to protect your pet.
And speaking of protection, this collar claims to kill and repel fleas, ticks, flea eggs, and flea larvae for 7 months while also preventing flea eggs from hatching.
Designed to fit most breeds and sizes, this collar fits dogs with a neck measurement of up to 26 inches, so it’s easily adjustable for smaller breeds.
It’s also safe to use on all puppies and dogs from 12 weeks old, so it’s a great choice for protection no matter the age of your pet.
Some users have reported a weak buckle mechanism prone to breaking, but even with this issue, the majority of users are happy with the protection this collar provides for their pampered pooch.
- Visibility – highly reflective for added safety.
- Fit – Easily adjustable for most dog breeds and sizes.
- Protection – Continues to protect your dog for 7 months.
- Water-resistant – Continues to work even after getting wet.
- Buckle – Not as durable as other collars.
- Includes 2 fresh scented collars, for use on Adult dogs and puppies 12 weeks of age and older
- Kills and repels fleas, ticks, flea eggs and flea larvae, plus prevents flea eggs from hatching for 7 months. Can be worn simultaneously with your dog's regular collar
- Reflective strip reflects direct light up to 450 feet for added visibility
- Water-resistant design won't cause loss of effectiveness if your playful pup takes a stroll in the rain
- Fits dogs with necks that measure up to 26 inches
If you’re looking for more of a natural approach when it comes to protecting your dog, then Arava Flea and Tick Prevention Collar should be top of your list.
This collar is 100% natural and is laced with essential oils and active herbal ingredients including peppermint, cinnamon, lemongrass, citronella, clove, thyme, rosemary, and geranium.
With a subtle but soothing scent, the oils are used to promote relaxation and prevent diseases.
They also keep fleas and pests away without causing any irritation to your dog’s skin – perfect if your pooch is a little sensitive.
Using micro-injection technology to infuse the collar, the slow release process keeps your dog protected for up to 6 months and gets to work near-instantly.
Waterproof and rainproof, this collar is ideal if little Rex is a fan of jumping in rivers and walks in the rain. The adjustable and sturdy collar also makes it a perfect choice for dogs of all sizes.
- Eco-Friendly – 100% natural and contains no hazardous chemical pesticides.
- Protection – Repels nearly 500 different species of insects.
- Scent – Soothing and used to promote relaxation.
- Ethics – The manufacturer gives part of its profits to charities supporting animal welfare.
- Effective – Not as effective if there is already a flea infestation.
- ARAVA NATURAL FLEA AND TICK COLLAR FOR DOGS! With the Arava premium natural flea and tick collar for dogs! Our botanical dog and puppy tick collar is here to help keep irritating fleas and annoying ticks away from your dog’s or puppy’s fur. It’s 100% natural and active herbal ingredients and essential oils will add an extra layer of security around your four-legged friend and prevent itchy bites from fleas and ticks. For large, medium and small dogs!
- PATENTED MICRO-INJECTION TECHNOLOGY WILL KEEP YOUR DOG SAFE! Unlike other low-quality tick and flea collars for dogs, we have utilized a UNIQUE Israeli patented Micro-Injection technology to infuse essential oils into the dog tick collar. As a result, the essential oils will be released via the special pores in the plastic using a Slow-Release process, which will make the natural tick and flea collar’s more effective!
- THE SAFEST FLEA & TICK COLLAR FOR DOGS IS FINALLY HERE! Arava flea and tick control collar contains natural ingredients only. That’s why our waterproof and adjustable tick collar for dogs isn’t only safe for your furry friend, but also safe for you and your children!
- SOOTHING NATURAL SCENT WILL REPEL TICKS & FLEAS FROM YOUR PET! Our waterproof and rainproof natural flea and tick collar for dogs has a light and soothing essential oil scent that will help keep fleas and ticks at bay. We use only natural essential oils, so if you feel like the scent is overwhelming at first, you can leave the collar out for 24-48 hours and then use it on your doggy!
This adjustable collar, which has been tested by vets, is a great choice if you’re looking for something that gets to work straight away and delivers impressive, long-lasting results.
Once applied to your pet, you can expect fleas to be killed within the first day or two, which is great if there is already an infestation.
Waterproof, non-toxic, and odorless, this collar is a strong contender when looking for something to protect your pooch without causing irritation.
The new German Formula used to create this collar delivers protection for up to 6 months at a time.
Available in 3 different sizes, the largest being for dogs up to 65pounds, this collar is suitable for the majority of pets but for those on the larger side, you may have to look at alternatives.
- Protection – Provides up to 6 months of protection.
- Effective – Kills insects within the first 24-48 hours and at life cycles of fleas and ticks.
- Adjustable – Suitable for different size dogs.
- Durability – Not as durable as other available collars.
- ✅FAST ACTING WITH NO BITING REQUIRED – REPEALS and KILLS ticks and fleas upon contact. Your furry friend doesn't need to be exposed to bites. Oral flee medications, pills, or chews require that your pet be bitten before they can work. This could expose your dog to flea-borne diseases like Lyme disease.
- ✅VET APPROVED, WATERPROOF BIO FORMULA - 6 month of strong protection: New German Technology gives you effective flea and tick preventic for dogs and Puppy for 6 month!
- ✅COST-EFFECTIVE PEST DEFENSE - collars use advanced technology to refine essential plant oils into a PVC carrier to reduce chemical irritation. Still, they are not suitable for pets that are sick or have skin allergies.
- ✅NO MESS TREATMENT AND CONTROL - effective against Fleas - larvae, lice, Ticks and Mosquitoes. This flea product for dogs was designed to be HELPFUL either for small medium size or extra large pets.
- ✅SUITABLE FOR ALL SIZES - the rolf club collar in pack is easy adjustable, maximum length 26.5 inches. Provide veterinarian level of care at an affordable and fair price.
When it comes to buying the best flea collar for your dog, it can be challenging to know what exactly it is that you should be looking for.
Is the protection period more important than its effectiveness? Does it really need all those soothing oils?
As you can see, there is no one particular characteristic that makes a flea collar the best to buy. Instead, it’s a combination of various factors that will help you make the best choice for your pet.
You also need to take into account the stage at which you will be treating the infestation and will need to make a choice based on that before everything else.
Once you know what stage you’re dealing with, you can narrow down your search to ensure that you are fully protecting your dog and providing it with the right treatment.
We’ve put together this handy buyer’s guide which will point you in the right direction and give you all the tips you need to make sure that you choose the perfect product for your precious pooch.
Having to frequently purchase a flea collar isn’t an ideal scenario, but luckily there are products that can cover you for up to 8 months at a time and in some cases, even longer.
You may think that changing your dog’s collar more frequently ensures that they receive maximum protection, but that’s not always the case.
With slow-releasing formulas and new technology, there are many collars that maintain a high level of protection throughout their wear.
A factor that might come into play with the protection period is water, which can sometimes reduce the number of months the collar is effective.
You also want to find something that gets to work straight away, especially if your pet isn’t yet showing signs of an infestation.
The quicker you’re able to protect your dog from future infestations, the better.
If your dog already has fleas then this is where you need to be more careful with your selection.
Some collars aren’t as effective if your pet already has fleas, however, some products kill the parasites at all life cycle stages – perfect if your dog has had fleas for some time and may also be carrying eggs.
Knowing how quickly the weather can change and also how fun-loving most dogs are, your collar of choice should also be water-resistant.
This will give you, the owner, the freedom of washing your dog or allowing them to dive into the river without having to worry about removing the collar first.
The only issue with water-resistant collars is that, as previously mentioned, the protection period can be altered if exposed to water frequently so always make sure you check this before purchasing.
The chemicals included in your dog’s collar are important as they may cause irritation and harm to your pet.
The balance needs to be correct in order for the collar to be effective enough to kill off parasites but remain gentle enough to be kind to your dog’s skin.
Most collars get this balance just right, but some manufacturers may not be putting your dog’s safety first and will use pesticides that are harmful to your pet.
Before you purchase your collar, it’s good to do your research on which pesticides to look out for.
You should always check for the following chemicals which are considered toxic in high volumes:
- Tetrachlorvinphos (TCVP)
Different collars are designed for various infestation stages so knowing which stage your pet is at is crucial when it comes to selecting the right collar.
If your pet is already showing signs of an infestation, then the fleas will need to be eradicated. In this case, your best choice is a treatment collar that would kill any existing parasites.
However, if your pet isn’t yet showing any signs of an infestation then you would need to look for a repellent collar to help prevent any parasites from setting up home on your pooch.
By knowing which stage your pet is at, you’re able to narrow down your search and guarantee that you’re treating and covering your pet for the correct stage of their infestation.
It’s common to see dogs wearing the wrong size collar, but if this happens with a flea collar then the treatment may not be as successful.
If you have a small pet, buying a collar designed for larger dogs means that it could potentially fall off during playtime leaving your dog exposed to the possibility of picking up parasites.
If you choose a collar that is too small, then your dog is going to feel discomfort while wearing it.
To guarantee that you have the perfect fit, it’s essential that you check the manufacturer’s size guide and follow their instructions for how to correctly measure your dog’s neck.
Some owners may think that purchasing a collar with a nice scent is a bonus when looking for the right product.
However, it’s good to remember that dogs have an extremely strong sense of smell, so something highly perfumed may irritate and frustrate your pet.
When choosing a product for your pet, it’s important to remember that the comfort of your pet should always come first.
With many odorless options to choose from, you may find that this is the better option.
Not only will it do its job without any irritation to your pet’s skin, it’s also a good choice for you, the owner, especially if you’re a big snuggler.
The last thing you want when cuddling your pet is a strong chemical scent in your face!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Dog Flea Collars Actually Work?
In short, yes, they really do work! Flea collars are great at providing lasting protection to your dog and are typically highly effective for several months at a time.
They are specifically designed to kill fleas and other parasites no matter which stage of infestation your dog is at.
Although there are other products on the market which help with killing fleas, a collar is among the easiest and most effective, and guarantees protection as well as fast results.
How Long Does It Take For A Flea Collar To Work?
Depending on which collar you choose, chemical or natural, the results will vary.
In general, most chemical flea collars will start to work within the first 24-48 hours after application and you can typically see results within 3-4 weeks.
As most natural collars are more gentle in providing protection, the results will take longer to deliver than chemical options so bear this in mind when choosing your product.
Are Flea Collars For Dogs Safe For Cats?
Dog collars can be extremely dangerous to cats, so you should never, ever put a dog flea collar on your cat or kitten.
The chemicals used for dog collars are vastly different from those used on cat collars and can be extremely dangerous to most felines.
There have been some reports where placing a dog collar on a cat has been fatal, so to make sure that your collar choice is the right one for your pet, you should always check which animals it is suitable for or consult your local vet before purchasing.