Dealing with an overeager and over-excitable dog that pulls on its leash is a problem many dog owners face.
Not only can this behavior be dangerous for your dog but also dangerous for you and others around you.
Getting a harness or leash for your dog – especially if they’re a large or medium breed – is so important.
There are a few reasons why your dog might be pulling on their leash (which we’ll get into below), but one of the main reasons is that they’re wearing the wrong type of leash.
Below we’ll explore why your dog might be pulling on its leash, as well as the different kinds of leashes available. We’ll also review four of the best control leashes out there.
Why Do Dogs Pull On Their Leashes?
It is frustrating when your dog continuously pulls at its leash and seemingly isn’t listening to you but there may be more to this behavior than meets the eye.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common reasons why dogs pull on their leashes.
Dogs that are overexcitable will pull on their leashes, and so will dogs that are nervous or highly-strung.
They’re Overprotective Or Jealous
Dogs are loyal and protective over their owners, which is what makes them such great pets.
However, dogs that are overprotective or jealous for seemingly no reason and pull on their leashes when out on a walk can be a problem.
They’ve Had No Leash Training
If your dog is not leash trained they are likely to pull on their leash. You may notice that when you first take your puppy or your newly adopted rescue dog for a walk they will pull on their leash.
A puppy will pull on their leash because it’s new to them, while an older rescue dog may not have had the chance to be leash trained.
Their Owner Is Inexperienced
If you’re having this problem with the first dog you’ve owned, one of the reasons why they’re pulling on their leash is because you are still learning how to properly handle and train your dog.
It’s normal to make mistakes, and you may not yet know what kind of collar or lead your dog needs.
They’re Wearing The Wrong Type Of Collar And Leash
This is the main reason why dogs pull on their leashes. A good leash shouldn’t be tight around your dog’s throat or chest as this makes them uncomfortable and might lead to injury.
Choosing the right dog leash is key to preventing dogs from pulling at their leashes. But what types of leashes are out there?
Types Of Leashes For Dogs That Pull
There are a few types of dog leases out there, and each of them has specific advantages.
Some leashes will reduce the impact your pulling dog has on your shoulders while some will come with multiple lengths and attachments.
But a single leash won’t stop your dog pulling altogether.
Leashes need to work in tandem with a no-pull dog harness or collar and your dog also needs to be trained not to pull. Let’s take a look at some leashes you could use.
No-pull Dog Harness
This is the most common type of control leash. It’s designed like a vest, secured to your dog’s stomach and worn around the front legs.
This design can alleviate the pressure on your dog’s neck and prevent choking. This also gives you greater control of your dog’s movement.
However, a no-pull dog harness can be difficult to put on some dogs and uncomfortable for them to wear. Plus, as it wraps around the front legs it can easily get dirty.
It also may not be as effective on large dogs, so it is generally recommended for smaller breeds.
This is another common type of control leash that attaches directly to the dog’s head, giving you more control over your dog.
Unlike a no-pull harness they are suitable for dogs of any size and will be nearly impossible for your dog to slip its head out of.
When you pull your dog back they will usually pull back stronger in response, but a head collar can be useful in preventing this.
A head collar will pull your dog’s head upwards when he starts to pull and back towards you, making your dog less likely to pull again.
While this leash gives you more control over your dog, it can strain your dog’s neck if they’re prone to pulling quite vigorously. Head collars should only be used with shorter leashes.
This is an extremely durable people leash with an anti-pull bungee that has great shock absorption.
Made of a thick nylon rope with elastic leather joints, this leash has strong stitching and powerful metallic hooks to withstand your dog pulling on the leash.
This leash measures 5.6 feet long, but is rather lightweight at just 8.8 oz. The sizing is quite limited with this lead though and will not be suitable for all breeds of dogs.
However, it still provides 43 inches of space between you and your dog even without the extension bungee.
While the leash is chew-resistant, the handle is on the weak side, and despite being chew-resistant we think it would soon meet its match with a heavy-chewer!
- Available in black, gray, green, red, and teal.
- Has shock absorption.
- Suitable for medium to large dog breeds.
- Might be too long for some dog owners.
- Not entirely chew-resistant.
- ★ Anti-pulling resistant training leash – Braided with tough nylon, SparklyPets Rope Leash is made for dogs who easily wear through regular leashes
- ★ For strong dogs – Featuring a thick rope, metallic hook, leather joints, and elastic bungee, rope leash is perfect for stronger dogs
- ★ Shock absorbing bungee – When you buy your big dog leash today, you will also receive an elastic bungee to offset the pulling
- ★ Modern and Stylish – Style meets function in this dog leash set that comes in four colors for you to choose from. Well-crafted and reliable in your hands, SparklyPets Rope Dog Leash is undoubtedly one of the best dog leashes for large dogs you’ll find on the market.
- ★ Our gentle leash for dogs is made with a lot of attention to detail to ensure you and your puppy the best walking experience. You will absolutely love your nylon leash with extension bungee!
Able to handle the pulling force of medium to large dogs, this leash would be great for dogs that weigh up to 150 lbs.
This leash also comes with a 4-6 ft ft extendable bungee leash with shock absorption that reduces the effects of pulling to keep you safe, and is made of water-resistant nylon material.
It comes in black and orange, but both color options have reflective stitches that make it great for use in low-light situations.
As well as being a safe leash, it’s comfortable to hold too, thanks to its two padded handles.
The traffic handle is also great for busy environments, and is positioned 18 inches from the collar attachment.
The leash also comes with a D-ring that you can clip to multiple accessories, as well as a car seat belt buckle that is great for when you’re taking your dog on a drive.
However, the bungee section might be overpowering for some dogs, and some customers have reported the elasticity waning over time.
They have also reported that the locking mechanism doesn’t always work.
- Available in black and orange.
- Shock absorption.
- Reflective stitching.
- Dual padded handles.
- Suitable for medium to large dog breeds.
- Bungee section might be overpowering for some dogs.
- Bungee section also loses elasticity over time.
- Locks may not work occasionally.
- ✅【Sturdiness- durable 4ft-6ft bungee leash】 wear resistant nylon Dog leash provides sturdy and durable enough to withstand the pulling force of Large pooches up to 150 lb, offers dog owners with a sample training or walking leash that is super comfy on the hand
- ✅【Shock absorbing dog leash】 if your dog is a strong puller, you definitely need a indestructible anti-shock leash, 4 ft. To 6 ft. Bungee leash reduces the effects of pulling and makes dog walking a pleasurable walk in the park!
- ✅【COMFORT& CONTROL - 2 Soft Padded Handles】2 soft traffic handles for amazing control. One located 18 inches from the carabiner, great for when you need to keep your dog closer to you in traffic or walking through the crowds. The second padded handle at the end for comfort against the wrist, giving your dog the freedom to roam and explore its surroundings
- ✅【SAFETY& Multi-Functional Safety pull leash features reflective stitching on both sides to improves its visibility making it a lot safer to use in the dark or in low light situations. D-ring near handle to clip poop bags or other walking accessories. Offer car seat buckle keep your pet safely in vehicle while driving. Age range description: up to 5 years old special features: Durable-chewy resistant; 2 Traffic Padded Handles; Reflective-safety at night
- ✅【Longtime- even if chewed by your dog we want to make sure that this is the best dog leash that you have ever purchased and we stand behind all of our products. Our covers any defects in materials or manufacturing and even covers accidental chewing by your dog
A favorite among dog owners who have dogs that pull, this leash prevents dogs from pulling by applying gentle pressure to the torso.
It also comes in three different sizes and five different colors, so you’re sure to find one that suits you.
Made from heavy-duty nylon, this leash is waterproof and – depending on the leash size – can withstand pulls from dogs of all sizes.
The buckles on the leash are durable and made from rust-proof stainless steel.
This leash is able to be attached to any regular dog collar by clipping it to the D-ring, and you then wrap the leash around your dog’s torso to use it as a harness.
The leash is designed to be a training tool but you can still use it as a regular leash.
However, this leash does put some pressure on your dog’s trachea, which can be dangerous for older dogs with breathing problems.
- Available in multiple sizes and colors.
- Has a padded handle.
- Easy to use.
- Unsuitable for older dogs with breathing problems.
- Not reflective.
- Some customers reported the leash unhooking from their dog’s collar.
- Recommended by Trainers: Our simple "no-pull" dog leash solution is highly recommended by positive-based trainers around the country
- Over 80% Effective: with consistent, safe, gentle feedback, ThunderLeash encourages your dog to stop pulling, and has proven effective in 80% of dogs
- Easy-to-Use: ThunderLeash goes on in seconds, with no complicated straps or irritating head collars. Just clip the leash to your collar, wrap it around the torso, and go. Comes with an easy-to-grasp, comfortable padded handle
- 2-in-1 Solution: Our ThunderLeash can be used as both a harness, and a leash, so you can take less with you! ThunderLeash is adjustable, so it can fit any breed of dog
- From the Makers of Thundershirt: You can trust ThunderWorks for affordable, effective, easy-to-use calming and walking solutions
Available in red, blue, purple, and black, this heavy-duty leash is made from durable materials, such as a strong 1-inch thick nylon webbing and full-metal hardware precisely for medium and large dogs that pull.
This leash also has two comfortably padded neoprene-padded handles that give you more control of your dog while preventing leash burn or chafing.
One handle is found at the end of the leash, and this allows you to give your dog more freedom while on the leash.
Meanwhile the second handle is located 18 inches from the clasp, and can be used in high-traffic situations where you need to keep your dog close.
However, this leash comes with a warning to not let heavy-chewing dogs unintended with this leash, but it is backed by a 5-year warranty.
The double handle can also be a bit awkward, and those with small hands might find it difficult to grip the handle firmly.
- Available in multiple colors.
- Has a double handle that is padded and comfortable.
- Suitable for medium to large dog breeds.
- Backed by a 5-year warranty.
- Not suitable for dogs prone to chewing.
- Not reflective.
- No shock absorption.
- Pulling Dog Leash: The Leashboss padded double handle dog leash won't dig into your hands allowing you to maintain a firm grip even when a medium or large sized dog starts to pull. Perfect for safety and control on walks or during training.
- Patented Design: Our Dual handle dog leash features a non-bending traffic handle 18" from the clip and a padded handle near the end. Simply grasp both for extra control or hold just the end to give your pup more freedom.
- Maximum Control and Confidence. Not too long, not too short, this large dog leash is perfect for almost any breed. This 1 inch wide comfort grip leash measures 5 feet in length including the 18" handle.
- Ultra Strong Pet Leash: As strong as a rope or biothane leash, our heavy duty dog leash is crafted out of durable nylon that holds up when even large dogs are pulling while the padded handle protects your hands.
- Five Year Warranty: We're confident you'll absolutely love your new Leashboss Training Leash for Large Dogs. Leashboss is proudly based in the United States. If you're unhappy with your purchase for any reason, simply let us know.
Dogs pulling on their leashes is a common problem for dog owners, but the fix for this can be as simple as choosing the appropriate leash for your dog.
There are plenty of leash options out there for dogs that pull, and as long as you measure your dog and fit their leash properly then they should be comfortable, happy, and less likely to pull.
But remember to consider other reasons why your dog might be pulling, and that a control leash is only part of the solution.
Control leashes combined with proper training will make your dog less likely to pull on their leash.