There’s nothing more worrying than finding horrible parasitic ticks on your dog’s skin. Not only are they nasty things anyway, but the vast majority of ticks actually carry foul diseases that could make your dog very ill.
In some worst case scenarios, they could even die from certain diseases such as Lyme disease.
One of the best ways to keep your dog protected against ticks is of course to use tick treatment. However, sometimes you don’t have the time to constantly reapply a topical solution every month or every couple of weeks.
This is where a tick collar can come in handy. Simply attach your chosen tick collar around your dog’s neck, and they will be protected from ticks and a variety of other parasites.
However, with so many different products on the market, how can you be sure that you’ve found the best tick collar for dogs? That’s where we’re all too happy to help!
We’ve done all the hard work so that you don’t have to. We’ve researched and reviewed hundreds of products to find the best of the best when it comes to tick collars.
So you can rest assured that your pooch will be properly protected if you opt for one of the below tick collars for your dog!
The Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Small Dogs should be your first choice when it comes to tick collars. This particular tick collar delivers long lasting protection that will last your dog for up to 8 months.
You won’t have to worry about ticks or other parasites chewing on your dog’s skin when you opt for this tick collar. This particular tick collar has been designed to repel and kill fleas as well as ticks to give you even more versatile protection.
What’s really great about this tick collar is that it comes recommended by vets. It is known to be a highly effective treatment against ticks to give your dog long lasting protection. This particular tick collar is suitable for small dogs, but there is also a large dog tick collar available.
Another great feature of this tick collar is that it is super fast acting. Your dogs will be protected from fleas and ticks within 24 hours.
- Long lasting protection – can keep your dog protected for up to 8 months
- Works through contact – the second the tick comes into contact with your dog, it will start to die
- Fast acting – starts to work within 24 hours
- Expensive – one of the pricier options on the market
- 8-MONTHS OF CONTINUOUS PROTECTION: Provides 8-months of continuous flea and tick prevention
- WORKS THROUGH CONTACT: Seresto flea and tick collar for small dogs works through contact, so fleas and ticks do not have to bite your dog to die
- VET-RECOMMENDED: Veterinarian-recommended flea and tick prevention for dogs in a convenient, odorless and non-greasy collar; No need for messy monthly treatments
- STARTS WORKING WITHIN 24 HOURS: Starts to repel and kill fleas within 24 hours of initial application
- FLEA AND TICK COLLAR: Flea and tick collar for small dogs also helps treat and control sarcoptic mange and kills lice
If you’re looking for an effective tick treatment that doesn’t come with the higher price tag of the Seresto tick collar, then you should opt for the SOBAKEN Flea and Tick Prevention for Dogs. This particular tick collar works to give your dog long lasting protection but at a competitive price.
You won’t have to worry about this tick collar letting you down. This particular tick collar will give your dog long lasting protection for up to 8 months. So you won’t have to worry about remembering to update their tick protection every month or every couple of weeks.
Another great feature of this particular tick collar is that it is wonderfully versatile. It has been designed to fit every breed of dog older than 3 months. So you won’t have to worry about buying one appropriate for your small or large dog.
This particular tick collar is also waterproof. This will ensure that your dog is protected from ticks even if the collar has been exposed to rain or bathwater.
- Versatile – works for all breeds and sizes of dogs older than 3 months
- Waterproof – gives your dog long lasting protection even after exposure to rain and baths
- Long lasting protection – works to keep your pooch protected for up to 8 months
- Instructions – some customers felt the instructions could have been clearer
- ✅8 MONTH PROTECTION – Flea and Tick Сollar for dogs protect your pet or puppy from flea and ticks 24h/7 days a week during 8 MONTHS.
- ✅MORE POWERFUL – New formula. More effective flea and tick prevention for dogs than other collars and still hypoallergenic for you and your pet.
- ✅AGE FOR USING – You can start use Collar from 3 month age of your pet. You can use our collar for SMALL, MEDIUM and LARGE dogs
- ✅WATERPROOF – Continues to be 100% effective after bathing and playing in the rain.
- ✅CHARITY – with every sold collar we donate 3$ to Organizations that are engaged in saving animals. Help us to give them hope!
The Hartz UltraGuard Plus Reflective Orange Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs and Puppies is the budget friendly, effective tick treatment that you are after. This particular tick collar works to keep your dog protected for up to 7 months from those pesky ticks.
What’s really great about this tick collar is that it is wonderfully versatile. This particular tick collar not only keeps your dog protected from ticks, but also from fleas, flea larvae, and flea eggs. So your dog will be fully protected from a range of common pests.
A handy feature of this tick collar is that it features a water resistant design. So you won’t have to worry about this tick collar losing effectiveness if it gets exposed to rain when you’re out for your walk with your dog.
This particular tick collar features a bright orange color with a reflective strip. This makes your dog visible from up to 300 feet away. This feature will be especially handy when taking your dog for a walk in the dark.
- Budget friendly – available at a competitive price
- Long lasting protection – keeps your dog protected from ticks for up to 7 months
- Water resistant – tick collar won’t lose its effectiveness if dog exposed to rain on a walk
- Clasp – some customers found this to be a tad awkward
- Fresh scented
- Kills and repels fleas and ticks, plus prevents flea eggs from hatching for 7 months. Can be worn simultaneously with your dog's regular collar
- Orange collar with reflective strip reflects direct light from up to 300 feet away for an added dimension of night time safety
- Water-resistant design won't cause loss of effectiveness if your playful pup takes a stroll in the rain
- Fits dogs with necks that measure up to 22 inches
The TevraPet Activate II Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs gives you all the long lasting protection you need from a tick collar. This particular tick collar gives your dog a whopping 12 months of protection from those pesky ticks.
This particular tick collar comes approved by veterinarians. So you can rest assured that you are buying a quality product that will last you for many months to come. It also features a waterproof formula to give even more impressive protection.
You won’t have to worry about this tick collar letting you down. It delivers a fast acting performance within 24 hours. It is also wonderfully versatile and will work to repel and kill fleas as well as ticks.
A handy feature of this tick collar is that it effectively kills pests through contact. So you won’t have to worry about any pests having to bite your dog first!
- Super long lasting protection – stays effective for up to 12 months
- Vet approved – you can rest assured that the tick collar is effective
- Fast acting – works to start killing and repelling ticks and fleas after 24 hours
- Thin – some customers felt this tick collar was on the thinner side
- 12 MONTHS POWERFUL PROTECTION: Activate II Flea Collar for Dogs provides up to twelve (12) months of flea and tick prevention for dogs that kills fleas, flea eggs, ticks, chewing lice, and repels mosquitoes and other biting flies for up to six (6) months with each collar. Two (2) collars are included in every package
- FAST ACTING WITH NO BITING REQUIRED: Activate II Flea Collar REPELS and KILLS fleas and ticks on contact, without your furry friend needing to be exposed to bites. Other oral flea meds, pills, and chews require that your pet is bitten by a pest before the medicine can work, exposing your dog to potential flea borne illnesses like Lyme disease
- VET APPROVED, WATERPROOF FORMULA: Activate II Flea Collar for Dogs is fully waterproof and uses the safe and effective active ingredients Deltamethrin and Pyriproxyfen. Activate II for Dogs starts to kill fleas and ticks within 24 hours, and instantly begins repelling mosquitoes and other biting flies. Every dog deserves the best protection - Activate II helps you provide veterinarian level of care at an affordable and fair price.
- NO MESS TREATMENT AND CONTROL: The Activate II Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs is mess and odor free, and begins killing fleas and ticks, and repelling mosquitoes within 24 hours, and repels biting pests to keep your dog infestation free
- PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA, SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Every Activate II Flea Collar for Dogs is proudly made in Texas, rigorously tested and inspected for quality, and backed by the TevraPet guarantee. If you are unsatisfied for any reason contact us for a full refund within 1 year of purchase
The Parenda Flea and Tick Collar for Small Dogs is another solidly reliable tick collar to opt for. This particular tick collar has been designed to give you up to 8 months protection. So you can rest assured that your dog will be covered for many months.
A handy feature of this tick collar is that it features a waterproof design. So you won’t have to worry about it losing effectiveness if exposed to rain or bathwater. The protection will last for the full 8 months before the collar needs to be replaced.
This particular tick collar is wonderfully versatile. It works to keep your dog protected from fleas, flea larvae, flea eggs, lice, as well as ticks.
You won’t have to worry about your dog being exposed to any nasty chemicals with this tick collar. This particular tick collar has been designed using 100% natural ingredients to give your pet long lasting, natural protection from ticks.
- Long lasting protection – included tick collar lasts for up to 8 months
- Waterproof design – no need to worry about the effectiveness waning with exposure to water
- Versatile – designed to fight off other parasites such as fleas, flea larvae, and lice
- Small dogs – only suitable for smaller dogs
- NEW FORMULA---100% natural ingredients,Parenda Flea Collar only contains a proprietary blend of essential oils.hypoallergenic, no mess,odorless,non-greasy,safe and effective.
- 8 MONTHS PROTECTION---Parenda flea collar works around the clock to helps your beloved furry friend get rid of internal & external fleas,ticks ,flea larvae and lice.The protection can last for up to 8 months.
- FITS SMALL DOGS UNDER 18 LBS---Size:14.96in/38cm.Parenda flea collars suitable for all kinds of puppies under 18 pounds.The collar is fully adjustable and you can cut the collar to adjust it to the proper length for your dogs.
- UPGRADED DESIGN---The Parenda flea collar adds a waterproof design and an emergency breaking point that allows your small dog to walk and play in the rain or wet snow without worrying about their safety and the effectiveness of the collar.
- 100% SATISFACTION --- Our customer enjoy 45-day money back guarantee! Any questions, please feel free to contact us. We will provide you with timely, honest and efficient service.
Trying to find the best tick collar for dogs can be a real challenge. There are so many factors that you will need to consider to ensure that you’ve found the right product for your dog and their needs.
But how can you be sure that you’ve found the right tick collar for your dog if you’ve never bought one before and aren’t entirely sure what you should be looking for?
That’s why we’ve put together this helpful buyer’s guide. We’ve made sure to include all of the key criteria that we used to select the best tick collars for dogs that we’ve reviewed in more detail above.
So as long as your chosen tick collar bears the below factors in mind, you can rest assured that it will be effective.
Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about tick collars below, or skip ahead to the frequently asked questions.
Long Lasting Protection
One of the most important things to think about when it comes to choosing the best tick collar for your dog is how much protection it gives you. How long does your chosen tick collar last?
It goes without saying that the longer the tick collar is able to keep your pet protected from ticks and other nasty parasites, the better.
Make sure to double check how long the protection lasts of your chosen tick collar. The vast majority of products should last you for between 7 to 8 months.
This will give your dog plenty of protection in the event that you were to forget to give them their topical treatment as well.
A sure fire way to ensure that you’re buying a quality product is to see if it comes recommended by qualified veterinary professionals.
This means it is a product that has been endorsed by the people who know what they’re talking about. So you can rest assured that you are buying a quality product that actually works.
So if your chosen tick collar comes recommended by vets, you will know that it will keep your dog protected from those nasty ticks.
Another factor to consider is how many varieties of ticks the tick collar is able to protect your dog from. The more species of tick it can protect them from, the better.
It’s worth noting that your dog is unlikely to come into contact with every species of tick under the sun. In fact, it will likely only encounter the parasites native to your particular area.
However, you will need to ensure that your chosen tick collar is able to protect your pet from the species found in your state, mostly deer ticks, brown dog ticks, lone star ticks, and groundhog ticks.
You should also consider how quickly the tick collar is able to take effect. Do you need to allow for a 24 hour period before it will start to repel ticks and other pests?
Or does it take even longer before it starts to work? This will be an important factor to consider before you take your dog for a walk or let them out in your backyard.
The faster your chosen tick collar can work, the better. However, bear in mind that most of these tick collars may need at least 24 hours before the chemicals can start to protect your dog’s whole body.
It will be important to select the right tick collar for your dog’s age. Are you looking for a tick collar for a fully grown adult dog, or does your puppy need protection?
You will need to ensure that you are buying an age appropriate tick collar just in case the chemicals have a negative effect on your hound.
It is worth noting that most tick collars can only be used on dogs older than 3 months.
You could be forgiven for thinking that one size fits all when it comes to tick collars, but this isn’t the case. There are some brands of tick collar that are designed for small dog breeds, whereas others are designed for large dog breeds.
Depending on the breed of dog that you have, you may need to choose the appropriately sized collar.
If you have a mixed breed dog, you can opt for the tick collar that best suits their size. If they have a similar size to a Jack’s Russell, you can opt for a small dog tick collar. If they have a similar size to a Labrador, you can opt for a large dog tick collar.
A handy feature to look for from your tick collar will be versatility. Manufacturers of tick collars know that ticks aren’t the only pest that will be attracted to your dog. This is why the vast majority of tick collars have also been designed to repel other pests such as fleas and lice.
To get even better value for your money, you should look for a tick collar that is able to protect your dog from these pests, too. This will ensure that they have the right protection they need to stay happy and healthy, not to mention free from disease. It will be worth looking for a tick collar that is able to deal with and repel flea eggs and larvae if you can find one.
The last factor that you will need to consider is whether your chosen tick collar is water resistant or waterproof. This is because some tick collars can lose effectiveness if they are exposed to too much water. So if you opt for a tick collar that is waterproof or water resistant, this will give your dog better protection from ticks.
If you’re in doubt as to whether your chosen tick collar is waterproof, water resistant, or neither, you should always opt for a monthly topical treatment against ticks to be on the safe side. You can get these from your vet. If in doubt, always consult with your vet first.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best tick collars are:
Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Small Dogs
SOBAKEN Flea and Tick Prevention for Dogs
Hartz UltraGuard Plus Reflective Orange Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs and Puppies
TevraPet Activate II Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
Parenda Flea and Tick Collar for Small Dogs
Yes, tick collars do really work for dogs. They work by slowly releasing chemicals over time to keep your pet protected from ticks.
What will happen when a tick tries to latch onto your dog’s skin is that they will be killed off by the chemicals, and the majority of the time this will happen before they can even bite your dog.
To get the best protection for your dog, you should also use a topical treatment provided by your vet.
The best way to protect your dog against nasty ticks is to use a regular treatment to keep your dog covered. You should opt for a topical treatment prescribed by your vet, which will usually combine to protect them against fleas, too.
You can also opt for one of the tick collars for dogs that we have mentioned above. These can keep your dog protected for even longer.
Make sure to check your dog’s skin if they’ve been out in the backyard or out in grassy areas, and remove them as soon as you find them.