Fleas are a pest in your home. Not only do they become a nuisance for your dog, irritating their skin and leaving them scratching, but those horrible critters can also bite your skin, too.
Once your dog starts to suffer from a flea infestation, they can be all but impossible to get rid of.
Most of the fleas can lurk in the soft furnishings of your home, reinfecting your hound just when you think you’ve managed to get rid of them.
So your dog will need regular treatment to rid themselves of this pesky pest. This is where a quality flea shampoo will come in handy.
A good quality flea shampoo will kill off any fleas lurking on your dog, and leave their skin free from irritation.
But with so many different products on the market, how can you be sure that you’ve found the best flea shampoo for dogs?
That’s where we come in! We’ve done all the hard work for you so that you don’t have to. We’ve thoroughly researched the market and reviewed the top 5 products.
So you can rest assured that you’ve found the best flea shampoo for dogs if you opt for one of the great products that we’ve reviewed in more detail below.
The Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo will be just the thing you need for super long lasting protection.
This particular flea shampoo can keep your dog protected from fleas for up to 28 days. Ideal when you consider the flea’s life cycle can be anywhere between 12 to 22 days.
This particular flea shampoo is highly effective. Not only does it work to kill the adult fleas on contact, but it will also kill off flea larvae and eggs to give your dog full protection.
This flea shampoo can also protect your pooch from ticks and lice.
A great feature of this flea shampoo is that it is super versatile. Even though it has been designed with dogs in mind, you can also use it on cats and kittens.
It is suitable for use on puppies and kittens 12 weeks or older to ensure that they get the protection they need.
You won’t have to worry about this flea shampoo harming your dog’s skin. In fact, it has been designed with sensitive skin in mind.
This flea shampoo has been manufactured using aloe, lanolin, and oatmeal to be kinder on your pet’s skin.
It will also be important to avoid putting it on your dog’s face, and if they have a health issue you should always consult with your vet first.
- Effective – works to kill fleas, larvae, eggs, lice, and ticks
- Versatile – can be used on both dogs and cats
- Sensitive skin – features soothing aloe, oatmeal, and lanolin for sensitive skin
- Long lasting effects – best used in combination with regular flea treatment from your vet
- KILLS ADULT FLEAS & FLEA EGGS - Provides flea treatment, killing adult fleas and flea eggs on your dog or cat to prevent reinfestation.
- KILLS TICKS - Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo With Precor kills ticks on contact.
- KILLS LICE - Lice travel on pets, too, and Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo With Precor kills lice on contact.
- SENSITIVE SKIN FORMULA - Formulated with soothing aloe vera, lanolin, coconut extract, and oatmeal makes it paw-fect for pets with sensitive skin.
- CONDITIONS AND RESTORES SHINE - Leaves your pet’s coat soft, shiny, and manageable. And very snuggly.
The Veterinary Formula Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs and Cats is the ideal choice if you’re looking for an effective treatment.
This flea shampoo makes use of up to 3 times more active ingredients than competitive products for better results. This flea shampoo will effectively kill and control fleas and ticks on contact.
What’s really great about this flea shampoo is that it has been specifically designed with your pets in mind. This shampoo features a pH balanced treatment that will be much kinder on your dog’s skin.
It is also soap and paraben free to naturally cleanse your pet’s skin without causing irritation.
You’ll notice fast results when using this flea shampoo. It works to give your dog fast relief from any flea dirt, scratching, biting, or irritated skin.
This flea shampoo will gently cleanse and exfoliate your pet’s skin so that they can enjoy their life to the fullest.
Another great feature of this flea shampoo is that it’s super affordable. This particular flea shampoo is available at a competitive price. Perfect if you’re shopping on a budget.
- Highly effective – works to kill fleas and ticks on contact
- Versatile – can be used on dogs, cats, ferrets, and horses
- Affordable – available at a budget friendly price
- Gloves – recommended to wear gloves when applying the shampoo on your dog
- MAXIMUM FLEA & TICK CONTROL – With up to 3x more active ingredients, this flea and tick shampoo is formulated with pyrethrum – a natural insecticide – to kill and control fleas and ticks on-contact, soothe irritated skin while cleansing & exfoliating.
- WORKS FAST – Give your pet relief from symptoms including droppings/flea dirt in dog’s coat, allergic dermatitis, excessive scratching, licking or biting at skin, hair loss, tapeworms and pale gums. Follow directions on bottle for best results.
- SOAP AND PARABEN FREE – This flea and tick shampoo for dogs and cats is paraben and soap-free. It contains no harsh soaps or damaging detergents, only the gentlest naturally derived cleansers specifically formulated for your pet’s skin.
- FORMULATED FOR PETS – This pet shampoo is safe for dogs, cats, ferrets and horses 12 weeks & older. This pH balanced treatment is ideal for your dog’s skin as human shampoos are formulated at a lower pH level (more acidic).
- EFFECTIVE & AFFORDABLE – Veterinary Formula Clinical Care premium medicated products are created with veterinary-grade ingredients, available at an affordable price. We know dogs and cats are more than just pets because we are pet parents too.
Looking for a flea shampoo that will make short work of those pesky fleas? Then you should opt for Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Advanced Strength Dog Shampoo.
This particular flea shampoo features an advanced strength that will be highly effective.
It works to kill off fleas, flea larvae, flea eggs, as well as ticks on contact. Just the thing you need to break the life cycle of the flea.
What’s really great about this flea shampoo is that it has been designed with dogs in mind.
It has been specially formulated for dogs and puppies older than 12 weeks. So you can rest assured that it will be kind to your dog’s skin.
You’ll know you’re buying a quality, effective flea treatment with Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Advanced Strength Dog Shampoo. This flea shampoo has been designed by vets for an effective treatment.
This particular flea shampoo makes use of only natural ingredients for an effective treatment.
It makes use of natural ingredients such as peppermint and rosemary oil so that it will be safe and effective for your dog.
You will get the best results from this flea shampoo when you use it as part of a regular bathing routine throughout the year.
- Super effective – works to kill fleas, larvae, and eggs, as well as ticks on contact
- Vet formulated – designed by vets for an effective flea shampoo
- Dog specific – designed with dogs in mind
- Scent – may not be to everyone’s taste
- ADVANCED STRENGTH - 2X flea killing effectiveness. Kills fleas, flea larva, flea eggs, and ticks on contact and cleans and deodorizes your dog’s coat.
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE -Each active essential oil is 100% certified natural for an effective solution you can trust.
- VETERINARIAN FORMULATED - Formulated specifically for dogs with natural oils like Rosemary and Peppermint to kill fleas on contact.
- SAFE TO USE FOR DOGS: Formulated for dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older when used as directed.
- MADE IN THE USA: Our products are proudly manufactured in the USA with quality domestic and internationally sourced ingredients.
Concerned about using harsh chemicals on your dog’s delicate skin? Then the TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick Maximum Strength Shampoo for Dogs will be the perfect solution for your hound.
This particular flea shampoo has been designed using a combination of natural oils to effectively deal with flea infestations. So you’ll know it’s being effective while also being kind to your dog’s skin.
You won’t have to worry about any harsh chemicals in this particular flea shampoo. There are no permethrin or pyrethrins to harm your dog’s skin.
This flea shampoo makes use of 5 EPA approved natural essential oils; cedarwood, cinnamon, clove, lemongrass, and sesame seed oils.
This is the natural effective treatment that you need for your dog. The TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick shampoo will kill fleas and ticks on contact.
It will also effectively repel fleas and ticks for up to 7 days after a single application. You’ll get the best results when using this flea shampoo as part of a regular bathing routine.
What’s really great about this flea shampoo is that it has been designed with dogs in mind. This flea shampoo is suitable for use on dogs and puppies older than 12 weeks.
- Natural – uses natural ingredients to repel fleas and ticks and kill them on contact
- Effective – repels fleas, ticks, as well as larvae and eggs for up to 7 days
- Fresh – gently cleanses without removing spot on treatments
- Long lasting effects – best combined with other treatment for true long lasting protection
- Long-Lasting Pest Protection — Maximum Strength Shampoo helps kill fleas, ticks, larva, and eggs by contact and repels fleas for up to 7 days.
- Light Fresh Scent — Clove, lemongrass, cedarwood, and cinnamon oils act as powerful pest repellents and leave a pleasant citrus aroma.
- Enhanced Shipping Seal — Packaging is now spill-resistant with a reinforced cap to resist damage and an induction seal to reduce spills. NOTE: Product shipped may vary as existing inventory is depleted and enhanced packaging is introduced.
- Crafted with Care — Natural* Flea & Tick Max Strength Shampoo is tough on pests, not pets. Formula is gentle, effective, and cruelty free.
- Soap Free — Gentle coconut cleanser gives TropiClean shampoos a soap-free clean, so you don't have to worry about washing away topical treatments.
The SENTRY Oatmeal Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs is the ideal pick if you’re looking to save money.
This particular flea shampoo gives you a whopping 63.5 ounces of flea shampoo to use. This will help you to save money in the long term, as you won’t need to buy flea shampoo as frequently.
This particular flea shampoo has been designed with dogs in mind. It carefully balances the natural pH level of your dog’s coat and skin. It is suitable for use with dogs who are 12 weeks or older.
What’s really great about this flea shampoo is that it will be highly effective for ridding your dog of fleas and ticks.
It kills fleas and ticks on contact, and will keep your dog protected for up to 10 days after a single application.
Not only will it keep your dog protected from fleas, it will also kill off deer ticks which are notorious for carrying Lyme disease.
You won’t have to worry about this flea shampoo damaging your dog’s skin. It features oatmeal, which will be naturally soothing.
This shampoo will clean, deodorize, and condition your dog’s coat as well as keep them protected from pesky fleas.
- Large bottle – you get a whopping 63.5 ounces of flea shampoo
- Dog specific – designed with your dog’s sensitive skin in mind
- Effective – kills fleas and ticks for up to 10 days
- Expensive – one of the pricier options available
- IDEAL FOR DOGS: This rich, conditioning formula with oatmeal kills pests that can harm your pet. Ideal for dogs with sensitive skin. Not recommended for use on cats or kittens.
- CLEANS AND CONTROLS: SENTRY oatmeal shampoo cleans, deodorizes and conditions your dog's coat, and pH balanced. It can also be used on dogs and puppies 12 weeks of age and over.
- RID YOUR DOG OF FLEAS: SENTRY Flea and Tick Oatmeal Shampoo for dogs and puppies has a great Hawaiian ginger fragrance. This tried-and-true formula kills fleas and ticks for up to ten days. It even kills the deer ticks that may carry Lyme disease.
- FLEAS: Fleas are insects that can start your pet scratching with one bite. They have exceptional jumping skills, leaping vertically up to seven inches to hop on a host to feed and lay their eggs — up to 5,000 flea eggs in a female’s lifetime.
- TICKS: Ticks are parasites that belong to the arachnid family (like spiders and mites) and live in wooded or grassy areas where they attach themselves to pets walking by. Female ticks find hosts to feed, mate and lay eggs upon, while the males generally occupy hosts for mating purposes.
Trying to find the best flea shampoo for dogs can be a real challenge. There are so many factors for you to consider when it comes to finding the best product for your dog.
Is the product recommended by vets? Is it suitable for use on your dog? How long is the flea shampoo able to offer protection for?
We’ve put together this handy buyer’s guide to help you. As long as your chosen flea shampoo for dogs features the below factors, you can rest assured that you’ve found the ideal product for your pooch.
This is to help you make a fully informed decision and to save you from wasting money on a product that won’t be as effective as you need.
Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about flea shampoo below, or skip ahead to the frequently asked questions.
Length Of Protection
Of course, the most important thing that you will need to consider when choosing the best flea shampoo for your dog is how long the protection lasts.
You won’t want to opt for a flea shampoo that can only keep your dog protected for a few days at most. The longer the flea shampoo can keep your dog protected, the better.
This will ensure that you’re able to eliminate any flea infestations that can occur over time.
It’s worth noting that most of the fleas aren’t actually on your dog. They are actually around your home, in your soft furnishings.
So while a single application will kill off any fleas that are on your dog, it might not necessarily keep them protected from reinfestation if it only covers your dog for a couple of days.
So of course you should opt for the flea shampoo that can give your dog long lasting protection. You should also look to use this shampoo once a week to keep your dog protected from fleas.
It will also be worth remembering that a flea shampoo will only tackle part of the problem, and for truly long lasting results you will need to combine it with a spot on treatment from your vet.
Another factor to consider is the size of the bottle you buy. The larger the bottle, the more value for your money you will get.
While some of the larger bottles may appear to be more expensive than others, when you work out how much you’re paying per ounce, you could actually be saving more money in the long run.
It will be worth considering how often you will be bathing your dog with this new flea shampoo. The more often you give your dog a bath, the more flea shampoo you will need.
It will be worth remembering that your dog will not need to be bathed more than once a week.
The effectiveness of your chosen flea shampoo will be crucial. This will determine how well it’s able to kill fleas on contact and prevent your dog from reinfestation.
The vast majority of flea shampoos will be able to kill off the adult flea. However, some of the more effective products will also be able to kill off larvae and eggs.
It’s worth noting that because of the flea life cycle, their eggs will start to hatch long after you’ve killed off the adults that laid them.
It will also be worth considering whether the flea shampoo is able to protect your pet from other pests, too, such as ticks.
While it is incredibly handy to opt for a versatile flea shampoo, you will need to ensure that it is suitable for use with dogs.
This may seem like an obvious point to mention, however, dogs have sensitive skin.
You will want to opt for a shampoo that is going to carefully balance the pH of your dog’s skin and not interfere with their delicate oils.
By opting for a dog specific flea shampoo, you can rest assured that it will be perfect for your pooch and won’t harm them.
It will also be worth opting for a veterinarian formulated product to give you added peace of mind.
Dog’s notoriously have sensitive skin. So you will want to opt for a product that takes this into consideration. It will be best to opt for a product that uses natural ingredients instead of harsh chemicals.
While some of the harsher chemicals used in some products may very well give your dog long lasting protection, it could also be harmful to their skin, especially if they are bathed with these flea shampoos regularly.
Opting for a flea shampoo that uses only natural ingredients will give your dog the protection they need all while being kinder to their skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Shampoo To Get Rid Of Fleas?
The best flea shampoos for dogs are:
- Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo
- Veterinary Formula Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
- Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Advanced Strength Dog Shampoo
- TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick Maximum Strength Shampoo for Dogs
- SENTRY Oatmeal Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs
Do Flea Shampoos Really Work?
Yes, flea shampoos do really work. However, it will be worth considering that shampoos will only kill off fleas that are already on your pooch. So they will still be able to get reinfested if there are still fleas in your home.
The best approach is to follow a regular flea treatment to keep your dog protected, as well as bathing them once a fortnight using your preferred flea shampoo.
What Kills Fleas On Dogs Instantly?
The best way to get rid of fleas from your dog is to use prescribed flea treatment from your vet.
Your dog will need to be treated with flea spot treatment regularly so that they can stay protected from those pesky little critters.
Giving your dog a bath using a quality flea shampoo can also help to remove any fleas that are on them. You will also need to treat your home for fleas, as they tend to lurk in soft furnishings.
Remember that the flea treatments will deal with the adult bugs, and not the eggs that they leave behind.