Whether you’re already a dog owner or are looking forward to welcoming a fluffy friend into your home, you’ve probably fantasized about taking them for idyllic, stress-free walks.
The image of strolling side-by-side with an obedient dog is a draw for many want-to-be pet owners.
However, whilst this does become a reality for most dog owners, it often takes intensive training and a whole lot of patience.
During this period, you’ll need a good leash to ensure the safety of your dog, and those around you.
Attempting to find the perfect leash for you and your dog can be overwhelming.
Between the wealth of information online, and the opinions of fellow dog owners, when searching for a leash you will likely confront an array of potential problems.
What size leash will best fit my dog? What material will be most comfortable for my dog? What style of leash will be strong enough for my overzealous, feline-obsessed puppy?
Likewise, as the person who will be holding the leash, there is a range of things to consider for your own needs.
Factors such as durability, level of weather resistance, length, material, and style (for the fashion conscious dog mums and dads out there) all need to be considered to ensure walking your dog is an enjoyable, stress-free, paw-sitive experience.
With all this to consider, searching for the perfect lead might feel like looking for a needle in a haystack.
However, we are here to help. Below you’ll find a selection of great leashes, hand-picked according to important factors such as their suitability for different types of dogs, length, durability, and style.
Following, we have constructed a useful buyers guide, consisting of things to consider when in search of the perfect leash, to make sure that you buy the right one first time.
BAAPET Strong Dog Leash
This leash ticks many boxes and is perfect for owners of strong dogs. Coming in two different lengths, 2 foot, and 5 foot, it is perfect for daily walks for both small and large dogs.
For larger dogs, 5 feet is the ideal length to ensure your dog is both under control and has the ability to move freely.
For smaller (but strong!) dogs, the 2 foot length gives your small fluffy friend room to maneuver without getting tangled in an excess of leash.
This style of leash provides relief knowing that even the strongest dogs would struggle to get free.
The ½ inch diameter thickness of the leash, the rock climbing rope style material, and the clip hook attacher all mean that this leash is the ideal choice for a dog owner hoping for extra security and durability when walking.
The padded handles also provide a high level of comfort, protecting your hands from leash-burn, and generally elevating the experience of walking your canine pal.
The reflective threads in this leash also make it a particularly safe option. The highly reflective stripes along the length of the leash ensure you are both visible on late-evening or early morning walks.
As a bonus, this leash also comes in 4 different colors, allowing for a safe and stylish walk!
- Length – The two different length options are perfect for both small and large dogs.
- Width – The thick diameter provides extra durability and security.
- Climbing rope material – makes this leash particularly strong.
- Padded handle – provides extra comfort for the walker.
- Reflective threads – ensures safety on dark walks.
- Range of colors – some personalization and style is possible.
- Range of colors – there are only a few different options, which might not satisfy some.
- HEAVY DUTY - The BAAPET dog leash made with strongest 1/2 inch diameter rock climbing rope and very durable clip hook for you and your dog safe
- COMFORT PADDED HANDLES - Features soft padded handles for amazing comfortable, just enjoy the feeling walks with your dog and protects your hand from rope burn
- REFLECTIVE FOR NIGHT SAFETY - Highly reflective threads dog leashes keeps you both safe and visible on your late-evening walks
- GREAT FOR WALKING, RUNNING OR TRAINNING - This 5 foot length dog leash is a perfect balance between freedom and control, give enough freedom to your dog and everything absolutely under your control
- 100% MONEYBACK GUARANTEE - No matter you and your dog not like this dog leash, no problem, get your money back! or get this new cool leash for your dog today, it's also a great gift idea!
Max And Neo Reflective Nylon Dog Leash
This leash is perfect for owners looking for something to keep their smaller pups safe.
Offering lengths starting at 48 inches long, this leash gives smaller dogs ample room to move around without the risk of getting their little legs tangled in an excess of leash.
It is also significantly less bulky than most dog leads, thanks to its range of widths starting at 0.62 inches wide, which means your little dog won’t be weighed down.
The material is a thick, soft, nylon webbing that can handle even the toughest chihuahua.
Its durable design is accompanied by a soft neoprene handle, which not only provides extra comfort when walking your dog but also comes attached to a D-ring, so you can clip on accessories.
Rather than scrambling around in your pockets for poop bags or your keys, this leash offers a handy way to access necessities on your walk, improving the overall experience.
The leash itself is partially reflective, meaning it helps to keep your small dog (and you) visible during late night and early morning walks.
It also comes in four different, bright colors, so you can match the leash to your, or your dog’s, personality! As a bonus, for every purchase of this leash, the brand donates a leash to dog rescue.
- Length – makes this leash ideal for smaller dogs.
- Width – smaller width options mean this leash is less bulky for smaller dogs.
- Material – makes for a very durable leash.
- Handle – soft, comfortable, and able to attach accessories.
- Reflective – means this leash keeps smaller dogs safer in the dark.
- Range of colors – means some personalization and style is possible.
- Length – won’t work for larger dogs.
- YOUR PURCHASE HELPS A DOG RESCUE: For every leash sold, we donate an identical leash to a dog rescue. Dog rescues are in constant need of dog supplies. We donate 1 for 1 for every purchase. By purchasing one of our dog leashes, you receive a premium high quality leash and you donate one to a rescue. Together we can support dog rescues with a never ending supply of leashes.
- DOG RESCUES: Each month we donate to different rescues throughout the USA. At the end of every month, we tally up the number of leashes, collars, harnesses, toys, etc. sold. Based on the number, we determine how many rescues we can donate to for that month. We donate down our list of rescues until each one has received a donation and then we go back to the top of our list. In special cases, we will donate to rescues out of turn based on their immediate needs.
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Our leashes have all the features of top of the line dog leashes. Our small dog leash is 5/8" wide and made of 1.5mm thick soft nylon webbing designed to handle the toughest chihuahuas. They are made to endure the constant use that dog rescues put them through.
- HIGH END FEATURES: Padded soft neoprene handle for comfort against the wrist. D-ring near handle to clip poop bags or other accessories. Quality heavy duty metal clasp. Reflective stitching to improve your visibility at night.
Leashboss Original Heavy Duty Two Handle Dog Leash
If you’re struggling with a dog who loves to pull you along for the whole walk, this leash will offer you some sweet relief.
Specifically designed with control in mind, the second, sturdy handle provides you with extra strength over your strong-willed, excitable dog.
Both handles are structured, non-bending, and padded, preventing leash burn and ensuring a comfortable walk for the both of you. This leash is also ideal for larger dogs.
The leash is five foot long, providing enough room for your dog to stroll comfortably by your side, whilst you maintain control.
It is also constructed out of durable nylon, making it the perfect heavy-duty option for headstrong dogs. It can be used with a collar or harness, making it a versatile and dependable option.
For extra confidence, the brand offers a 5-year warranty, which protects against defects, product issues, and even chewed leashes!
It comes in 4 different colors, so you can show off your personality whilst showing off your newfound control over your dog.
- Second handle – provides extra control over a headstrong dog.
- Padded, non-flexible handles – prevent leash-burn and ensure comfortable walk.
- Length – perfect for larger dogs who require extra strength.
- Material – makes for a very durable leash.
- Warranty – means you can rely on this leash to stand the test of time.
- Range of colors – offers a way to personalize your leash.
- Reflective material – this leash isn’t reflective, so may not be the best choice for late-night walkers.
- Range of colors – particularly limited.
- Length – not good for dogs under 40lbs.
- Pulling Dog Leash: The Leashboss padded double handle dog leash won't dig into your hands allowing you to maintain a firm grip even when a medium or large sized dog starts to pull. Perfect for safety and control on walks or during training.
- Patented Design: Our Dual handle dog leash features a non-bending traffic handle 18" from the clip and a padded handle near the end. Simply grasp both for extra control or hold just the end to give your pup more freedom.
- Maximum Control and Confidence. Not too long, not too short, this large dog leash is perfect for almost any breed. This 1 inch wide comfort grip leash measures 5 feet in length including the 18" handle.
- Ultra Strong Pet Leash: As strong as a rope or biothane leash, our heavy duty dog leash is crafted out of durable nylon that holds up when even large dogs are pulling while the padded handle protects your hands.
- Five Year Warranty: We're confident you'll absolutely love your new Leashboss Training Leash for Large Dogs. Leashboss is proudly based in the United States. If you're unhappy with your purchase for any reason, simply let us know.
Tug 360 Tangle Free, Heavy Duty, Retractable Dog Leash
If your dog enjoys exploring far and wide on your daily walks, this leash provides a safe and comfortable way for them to do so.
The leash, constructed from strong nylon tape, is 16ft long and can be retracted or extended using the quick lock and unlock feature positioned on the handle.
As such, this leash is particularly versatile, useful for both short, roadside walks and longer park explorations.
The lock and unlock feature is easy to use, ensuring complete control over the distance available to your dog.
Thanks to this feature, this leash is also tangle-free, so you don’t have to worry about you or your dog getting tangled up in an excess of leash.
The handle is ergonomic and anti-slip, with a super comfortable grip, to provide control over your dog and ensure a pleasant experience.
This leash also comes in four different sizes, so this leash is a viable option for both small and large dogs. There is a small variety of color options to choose from too.
- Strong nylon tape – ensures the leash is very strong.
- Retractable length – perfect for dogs who want to explore.
- Lock and unlock feature – makes for a very safe, tangle-free, easy-to-use leash.
- Ergonomic and anti-slip handle – provides a comfortable level of control over the dog.
- Size range – means this leash is suitable for many different dogs.
- Range of colors – makes personalization possible.
- Reflective material – there is no reflective aspect of this leash, so it might not be the best choice for late-night walkers.
- Range of colors – particularly limited.
- Controversy – retractable dog leads aren’t for everyone.
- Small Leash is Suitable for Dogs Under 35 lbs; Medium For Dogs Under 55 lbs; Large For Dogs Under 110 lbs; Retractable Leashes Not Suitable For Chewing
- 16 ft Tape Leash With Easy-Adjust Retraction; Tangle Free 360 Degree Tape Movement
- Quick Lock And Unlock Feature - Easy Roll-On and Roll-Off With Your Thumb
- Super Comfortable Grip For Those Long Walks! Ergonomic Anti-Slip Handle
- Note: Large Leash May Be Larger Than Expected; Please Review Dimensions Before Purchase
Mighty Paw Dual Handle Dog Leash
For those of you who dream of long hikes and excursions with a canine companion, this leash is perfect.
The dual handle design provides extra support when exploring rough terrain, and provides the dog with extra room to maneuver.
Both handles are lined with thick neoprene padding, providing maximum comfort for extended periods of time.
There is also reflective material covering the leash, which helps to keep you and your dog safe when the sun goes down.
It is six foot in length, providing ample opportunity for a large dog to explore its surroundings safely.
The leash is also constructed from durable, weather-resistant nylon material, making it an ideal choice if you take your dog for walks during turbulent weather.
Likewise, this is a great option if your dog can’t resist a quick swim in a lake!
If you enjoy exploring the wilderness and countryside with your dog, this lead offers the comfort, control, durability, and safety features necessary to do just that.
- Dual handle – provides extra support over rough terrain.
- Neoprene padding – offers comfort for long periods of time.
- Reflective lining – helps keep dogs safe during late night and early morning excursions.
- Length – makes this leash ideal for larger dogs.
- Weather-resistant nylon – makes this leash very durable.
- Length – isn’t ideal for smaller dogs.
- Range of colors – very limited.
- At Mighty Paw, we believe that going for a run or walk with your dog is one of life’s greatest pleasures. That’s why we created the Mighty Paw HandleX2 Dog Leash. The Mighty Paw Brand was created by dog lovers for dog lovers. We are a proud family owned and operated business out of Rochester, NY.
- Dual Handle Options: The innovative HandleX2 Dog Leash provides a unique blend of freedom and control. Use the far handle to give your dog the comfortable freedom of a 6 foot leash and conveniently switch to the traffic handle (12 inches from the end) for instant control when needed.
- Comfort: To enhance your dog walking experience we’ve added neoprene padding to both handles for maximum comfort.
- Safety: To keep you and your pup safe and visible when the sun goes down we added reflective material along the entire length of the leash (on both sides).
There is a lot to consider when searching for the perfect leash for your dog, and it’s very easy to get overwhelmed by the wealth of options available.
Buying a leash isn’t a run-of-the-mill purchase, as the safety and well-being of your beloved pet are on the line.
The last thing you want is to purchase a leash that turns out to be completely unsuitable for your dog.
Below, we’ll look at some key things to remember and consider when you’re looking for a leash, to alleviate some of the stress and anxiety surrounding this purchase.
If you keep these tips in mind, you should be able to find the perfect leash in no time and be able to enjoy those idyllic walks all the sooner.
Length And Width
Before you start looking for a leash, you should first consider how the size and strength of your dog will affect your choice.
Larger, stronger dogs will require a longer leash, with a more significant width, to ensure they have enough freedom and to provide you with the strength needed to control that freedom.
Leads that are too long or too short are likely to cause your dog distress. Shorter dogs on longer leads may get tangled in the excess. Larger dogs on shorter leads may feel far too restricted.
The length of the leash determines how able your dog is to explore its surroundings, so the maturity of your dog is also an important factor to consider.
If your dog still gets overly excited by other animals, people, or vehicles, a shorter leash may be preferable to a longer one.
On the other hand, if your dog is well versed in socialization and roadside safety, a longer leash will offer them the space and freedom they deserve.
If your dog is somewhere in between, a retractable lead is a great alternative.
Material And Durability
Other things to consider before purchasing are where you will be using the leash, and how often you will use it.
If you plan to take your dog on long hikes with rough terrain and weather, you will need a leash built from hardy, weather-resistant material with the structural support to ensure you are in control of your dog at all times.
If this is the case, you might want to consider a leash made from nylon, as it is strong and weather-resistant. Also, consider a leash with a dual handle for extra support and comfort.
If you only plan to take your dog for short, local walks, there may be no need for you to spend extra money on a heavy-duty leash. Instead, opt for a more simple option.
However, it’s important to remember that regardless of where, or how much, you use it, dog leashes often experience wear and tear, caused by the dog chewing or pulling on it.
Therefore, if you’re looking for a long-lasting leash, keep an eye out for weather-resistant (and chew-resistant) material. Natural materials like leather are often a solid, simple option that resist damage well.
Finally, if you plan on walking your dog in the dark, you should look for a leash with reflective material. Whether walking roadside or in a dark park, a reflective leash will aid in keeping you both safer.
When on the hunt for a leash, remember to not only look at the features for your dog, but also at the handle.
Regardless of the size of your dog, it’s important that you are comfortable whilst walking them, and so keep an eye out for extra padding on the handle.
However, if you are an owner of a boisterous, overzealous, happy-go-lucky pup, with a seemingly hidden strength, the comfort and strength of the handle will be all the more important.
If this is the case, opt for a more structured handle with extra padding, as this will offer more support and control over your dog.
Also, consider looking for a dual handle leash, as this will provide extra reassurance when taking your dog for a walk.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind Of Leash Is Best?
Unfortunately, there is no straightforward answer to this question. The suitability of a leash depends completely on yourself and your dog.
Factors such as the size of your dog, your dog’s personality, and the environment in which you plan to walk your dog are just a few variables that determine your most appropriate leash.
However, if you utilize the tips from our buyers’ guide above, finding the best leash for you and your dog should be a breeze.
What Kind Of Leash Is Most Secure?
Again, this will ultimately depend on your dog. However, in general, a leash with multiple handles, a large width, and a strong clasp will offer the most security.
Are Rope Leashes Better?
Some dog owners opt for rope leashes, due to their durability and strength. The material is also shock-absorbing, which is useful if your dog pulls a lot on the lead.
However, they are generally bulkier and heavier than a regular lead and can absorb water.