A dog can become a best friend, so much so that you debate with yourself between making little Fido an Instagram account or not (we have all thought about it).
From their little cute face, to the way they sit with you as you try and watch some TV, they really are the ultimate companion. The only problem is, when you go to bed and the barking starts which lasts for several hours.
Whilst we know that a dog barks at everything it hears, it has become troublesome, especially since you know there is no underlying cause to why he continuously barks, and barks, and barks, and barks…. You get the picture.
Whilst this can lead to sleepless nights, there is a solution. Dog bark collars have come a long way since their electric shock siblings. Using vibration is a much safer alternative to training a dog to stop their excessive barking.
In this guide, we shall take a look at some of the best dog bark collars available on the market. So, if you are ripping your hair out due to stress and not getting any shut-eye, fear not because we have got you covered. Read on!
The Laptom Pro is a great starter vibration bark collar due to its easy design and one size fits all approach – though obviously it is bound to not fit all dogs, so do check measurements first.
It can be adjusted for neck sizes from 8 inches to 21 inches, so it does have a wide area to fit around a dog. Also, the silicone sleeves make it a soft collar to help stop irritation if worn for a number of hours at a time.
It includes a dual vibration mode, plus two training modes. The 5 sensitivity levels can be changed depending on where your dog is within his training. It can be changed from 1 to 5 manually, making it accessible and easy to control.
Out of all the ones we tested, we found this was the best one for using on walks. We had no problem letting the collar get wet as the dog decided to bathe in rainwater.
The waterproof collar includes reflective stripes on the nylon straps to improve visibility, and the collar itself is also much lighter than their previous editions.
The battery can be charged for around 2 to 3 hours via a USB connection, making it last for 10 to 15 days depending on usage. You will know if the battery is low due to a green colored light that will blink.
If you have a smaller dog the collar may be a bit too thick, though it is still fine for them to wear it for short periods of time as you train them. Saying that, there are better options for you.
- 8 inches to 21 inches – can fit a wide variety of neck sizes
- Waterproof – no worries about getting the collar wet
- Reflective stripes – great to use on a walk when it is dark outside
- Two modes – uses vibration and sound to train
- Thick collar – which may be too big on a smaller dog
You can also buy this item on Ebay
- No Shock Bark Collar with Dual Vibration Mode: Equipped with stronger dual vibration motor, the upgraded bark collar provides 2 effective and humane training modes [Vibration Mode&Strong Vibration Mode] for you to solve an uncontrollable dog's barking problems. Considering the harm and pain of Shock Mode to pets, the design is harmless and safe to the psyche and health of pets, and efficiently help to correct the barking problems.
- Advanced Smart Dog Bark Recognition Chip: Laptom smart bark collar is designed with an advanced recognition chip with exclusive anti-false triggering technology, it will intelligently detect your dog's bark, and effectively filter other unrelated sounds from the environment to prevent false triggering. The collar will only activate when your dog barks with accelerated responsiveness, give your dog timely and correct training.
- USB Rechargeable & High Efficiency Battery: The dog bark collar are powered by high-performance rechargeable 480mAh lithium battery, which features high energy density, low power consumption, and long battery life. It can keep the bark collar working time up to 10-15 days according to use frequency after 2-3 hours fully charged. It also adds overload protection[Red Battery Indicator] and low battery alarm[Blink Green Battery Indicator], reliable and safe to use.
- Pet-friendly Designs: In order to improve the wearing comfort for dogs, the newest bark collar is lighter, and we provide with 3 different soft and durable nylon straps with reflective stripes, which will increase your dog's safety and make them visible in dark environment. The collar strap is adjustable for neck size 8"-21"[20cm-53cm]. 3 pairs of soft silicone sleeve are included, which can easily touch dog's skin through dog's fur, protect pet's skin.
- 2 Humane Training Mode & 5 Sensitivity Level: Press "M" to fast switch mode, green indicator for Beep+Vibration Mode, red for Beep+Strong Vibration Mode. The strong power of vibration will attract dog attention and help them correct barking issue without painful shock. Press power button to choose 1-5 sensitivity level, adjust it according to the environment and your actual need, the higher the level, the more sensitive the triggering sensor, the faster the start-up speed!
Whilst the name of the product might seem a little comical, the product itself is not. It shares similarities with the Laptom Pro, such as the fact it has two training modes of sound and vibration.
It also has a similar price point too, however, the STOPWOOFER includes 7 sensitivity levels alongside its 5 vibration levels. It also has 7 correction cycles which switch off once they have been gone through.
This is to keep your dog safe and for the collar to know when it is time to ‘give up’.
The neck fit has been designed to be worn by small and big dogs with its adjustable length collar at 5 inches to 21.65 inches. It is also thinner than the Laptom Pro making it more suitable for smaller dogs.
The STOPWOOFER also has reflective material which worked well during a walk in the early morning. Also, the charge lasted for around 14 days despite only being charged for a couple of hours.
The collar being waterproof means there was no issue with little Fido wanting to have walkies in the rain, making it a great option for those who want to use it outside during the day.
It was also easy to wipe clean, despite having mud all over the collar.
Because of the beeping, it may startle some dogs who are prone to disliking certain sounds, so it may not be a suitable option.
- Adjustable collar – suits neck sizes from 5 inches to 21.65 inches
- Two training modes – which includes vibration and beeping
- Waterproof – can be used in the rain, plus it includes reflective material for safety
- Great charge – can last up to 14 days
- Beeping noise – most collars have it enabled, but it may not suit dogs who are sensitive to noises
You can also buy this item on Ebay
- Dog barking collar is rechargeable. It gets charged in only 2 hours and works about 14 days with 1 battery life. USB cable comes with the device.
- No bark collar for dogs protects from excessive exposure. When the dog keeps barking, the collar shuts off for 1 minute after 7 correction levels. Bark collar no shock is 100% safe for your dog
- It's lightweight at only 2,1 oz that makes it not only a suitable bark collar large dog and bark collar medium dogs but also a perfect bark collar for small dogs as well.
If you want something that looks a little hi-tech, then the Dog Care collar is a must. It includes a front facing screen that includes the battery display – plus, it just looks good.
Speaking of the battery, for a full charge it only takes two hours. If you find that you are putting the collar into charge and then forgetting about it, it has a built-in protection mechanism that ensures you do not ruin the battery from overcharging.
Having used it during the night for a full week, the battery was still on full charge, so this could potentially last for around two weeks until it needs to be charged again.
The adjustable collar may not suit a smaller dog, as it measures from around 8 inches to 22 inches.
There is a vibrate only mode which is better for dogs who are prone to noise sensitivities which might make them bark more.
Also, if your dog keeps on barking, it will automatically shut off after 7 intensity levels in order for it to keep the dog safe.
It is not waterproof however, and the only color you can choose is black with no reflective material.
This may be an annoyance if you want to take your dog for a walk in drizzly weather, or if they particularly like to roll about in puddles or water.
- Automatic shut-off – if the dog does not stop barking, it will switch off for safety
- Adjustable collar – 8 inches to 22 inches
- Vibrate only mode – great for dogs who have noise sensitivities
- Great battery – may last up to two weeks
- Charging protection – built-in protection to stop battery damage
- Not waterproof – will not suit wet conditions
- No reflective material – is better to use during the day when it is light
You can also buy this item on Dog Care
- Variable adjustable sensitivity levels, you can use NONO re bark collar for medium dogs and also use our bark collar for large dogs
- Efficient training modes, Dog Care bark collar has shock, vibration and beep mode, you can choose the no shock mode for your small dog
- Cyclic-progress training strategy and safety assurances, our bark collar shock can stop the unwanted barking faster and wiser, bark collar no shock small dogs
- Rechargeable dog bark collar and impressive battery life, can be charged through USB cable
- Clearly visible indicators and safe conductive silicone, training your dog with our bark collar under protection
Whilst other bark collars work by feeling the vibration of the dog’s vocal cords when they bark, the DogRook has a built-in microphone to detect the barking instead. Whilst it might sound like it will pick up every little bit of noise, it actually will not.
It uses smart technology to only pick up the sound of the dog wearing it, rather than other dogs nearby. So you can safely have your dog wear it walking through the park without it buzzing every time a different dog barks or a bird tweets.
It has 5 sensitivity levels, making it suitable for dogs that have thick hair too. The collar is also lightweight which means it is a great option for smaller dogs.
There are two modes of vibration: a standard mode and then an increased mode which gives the dog a stronger, yet still safe, zap.
The battery only takes around a couple of hours to charge. Having used it for just over a week, there is still a small amount of battery left. Also, it was easy to charge using the USB cable provided.
If you need something waterproof, then this is a great choice for dogs who like the water. It was also really easy to wipe down too.
The adjustable collar is the tiniest bit smaller than the Dog Care collar, being able to fit neck sizes from 9 inches to 22 inches.
Just like all the collars above, it does not include a remote, so if you are looking to use a ‘shock’ collar manually, then this is not it.
- Smart microphone – picks up the noise of your dog only
- Adjustable collar – 9 inches to 22 inches fits most sizes of dog
- Battery charge – takes an hour or two for it to last around two weeks
- Waterproof – can be used in wetter conditions
- No manual mode – works by detecting a bark
- Bark training - Our anti barking collar for dogs teaches your pup to be relaxed and trusting instead of terrified. The no shock dog barking collar offers a highly effective, pain-free bark training solution, whether you're after bark collars for small dogs or something that fits all the way up to medium and large dogs.
- Vibration & sound - Our no bark collars for dogs combine 2 vibration modes & 7 sound stages to deliver progressive bark training while remaining a no shock bark collar. The dog barking collar provides instant, automatic feedback tailored to your dog, whatever its size - making it the perfect small dog bark collar, anti bark collar for medium dogs or bark collar for large dog all in one!
- Smart & sensitive - Our vibrating dog barking collar features a smart microphone that responds to your dog’s unique bark only! The anti barking collar for dogs has 5 sensitivity levels that can be adjusted to match environmental noise, meaning the collar is both a no shock bark collar while also not being triggered unnecessarily - making for a happy, quiet dog!
- Rechargeable & waterproof - The no shock bark collar has a long-lasting battery life (up to 14 days) and is rain, snow, and splash proof. This makes the dog bark collar suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, making it a most effective bark collar in all settings, whether you need anti bark collars for small dogs or whether your dog is medium or large.
- For pups of all shapes & sizes - Our no bark collars for dogs fit pups between 8 and 110 lbs. The wide dog collar is adjustable up to 22 inches. The dog bark collar for medium dogs, small dogs, and large dogs comes with prong covers for long-haired breeds, making it an effective no shock bark collar for dogs of all sizes.
If you have a small dog, then you might want a collar that has been created especially for their body type. Some of the regular collars, even though adjustable, can appear far too big and thick for the tiny neck.
The GoodBoy has a thin collar which includes a smaller device in keeping with the size of the dog. In fact, this particular collar will suit a dog who weighs from 5 pounds to 15 pounds. Also, if you have a cat, it is suitable to be used on them too!
Because it does not have a ‘shock’ feature, as in an electric zap, it may not be suitable for really stubborn dogs, however it should work for most types of training.
It comes with a remote so you can use the collar manually from up to 1000 feet away. The collar itself has 9 vibration modes, and both the collar and remote are waterproof making it usable in wet conditions.
You can also easily connect a second collar to the remote if you need to train two dogs at once.
Because of its smaller size, the battery did not last as long as other collars. With a charge of two hours it lasted for around 16 hours, though this was enough to use it for particular training sessions, rather than as an overnight collar.
The collar does have a built-in battery saving mode however, which means it will switch-off if not used for 5 minutes. If you are looking to use it overnight, this is another reason why it will not be suitable to do so.
- Remote control – so it can be used as a manual ‘shock’ collar for training purposes
- Automatic switch-off – avoids the battery from being on for no reason
- Size – suitable for smaller dogs who weigh from 5 pounds to 15 pounds
- Not suitable for overnight use – due to its automatic switch-off and battery life
You can also buy this item on GoodBoy
- Small and Safe - This collar is as lightweight and safe as possible for small dogs while maintaining all the necessary functionality. Even 5 lb pets can wear this collar comfortably without feeling weighed down. Due to its small size and the removal of the shock feature, we can not guarantee that this collar is 100% effective on very stubborn dogs over 15 lbs.
- Simple and Beautiful Design - The sleek and modern remote for this collar has a velvety matte finish that feels incredible to the touch. The simple design is straight-forward with no excessive buttons or settings. A large display with clear symbols makes it easy to see the selected mode and switch between training modes and correction strength as needed.
- All the Training Modes and Features You Need - This collar comes with one intensity level for sound and nine levels for vibration mode. The remote works up to a range of 1000 feet, making it perfect for outdoor or indoor activities, and can control up to two collars (extra collar sold separately). Connecting a second collar to the remote is easy with the press of just one button.
- Long-Lasting Battery Life - This collar uses the latest lithium battery technology, providing battery life that lasts for at least a week. Just with a single charge, the battery can provide up to 16 hours worth of continuous corrections (each correction is 8 seconds or less each for your pet's safety). The collar also has a battery-saving standby mode that is activated after 5 minutes of inactivity.
- A Detailed Training Guide - Our collar comes with a step-by-step training guide explaining how to use the GoodBoy remote collar in a safe and efficient manner. This booklet teaches 15 important commands, offers insight in understanding your dog’s body language, and teaches the best ways to deal with stubborn dogs. To make sure you get the best results, the training guide also includes tips for ensuring that the training sticks.
Take a look at the buyer’s guide below to find out what the key areas are that you need to look at before purchasing a collar to train your dog about barking.
If you are planning to use a bark collar throughout the day, then it is best to opt for one that is waterproof.
Whilst your dog will not be jumping around in puddles, mud and the rain at night, he may just be doing that when you go on your daily walks during the day.
Because it is waterproof, it will mean it will last longer without breaking due to moisture. So, make sure this is something you think about during your planning stage of when to use the bark collar.
Bark collars do not just work, they need to be charged for them to be used. Because of this, look at the information on how many hours the collar will need to charge fully, and how long it will last before it needs charging again.
The majority of bark collars only take a few hours to charge and then last a number of days. This is useful, but do always remember to check if it needs to charge just in case it stops working throughout a use.
Whilst most bark collars are one size fits all, there are exceptions. Some of us will own a tiny dog, whilst another might own a massive dog. The same collar is unlikely to fit.
Make sure you buy the correct bark collar to avoid your pooch from either just not being able to wear the collar, or it causing irritation due to an ill-fit.
To check if the collar is fitting okay, place a finger between the dog and the collar and make sure it is snug, but not too tight. Let your dog wear it for several minutes and then check again. It should feel the same.
Modes for Training
There are different ways to train a dog when using a bark collar, and it usually comes down to beeps and vibrations. Some dogs however, may be sensitive to noise and appear worse if the collar makes a few beeping sounds.
When this is the case, opt for a vibrating only collar, or find one that has the option to change to a vibrate only mode.
There are also sensitivity levels which help alongside the training. The higher the number, the more likely a thick haired dog will be able to feel the vibrations.
It may take a go or two to get all the settings correct, so do not give up!
Frequently Asked Questions
Unlike the controversial electric shock collars, the vibrating dog collar works by sending a wave of vibrations to distract the dog.
This is done either manually by the owner via a remote, or automatically, so when the collar detects the vibration of the dog’s vocal cords when it barks.
Not if used properly. They should only be used for training purposes, such as to stop a dog from continuously barking if there is no underlying cause – which should be tested first.
The collar itself only emits a vibration, unlike the ‘old school’ method of an electric shock. Also, they should never be left on to be used as a regular collar – that would be cruel.
The biggest factor here is that it should not be left on for too long. Over 12 hours per day is too much.
If you are able to, give the dog a break from it every hour or two. Always check to see it is causing any harm with the fit, etc. If it is, do not put it back on.
Once you have put the bark collar on your dog, you can check the tightness by inserting a finger between the collar and the dog. It should have a snug feeling but not tight. Let the dog wear the collar for several minutes, and then recheck the fitting.
Yes, you can keep a bark collar on your dog overnight, but as with all training gear, never let it become a natural thing your dog wears all the time – you are training Fido to stop his excess barking, not being cruel by buzzing him every time he barks.