Mindful Animal Owners
Hi, I’m Jackie Travis – welcome to my online sanctuary where I share everything I’m learning about taking care of my fur-family!
My pets have been there for me and my family through thick and thin – and have supported our mental health in ways that they’ll never know.
This deep sense of connection and respect made me realise that my animals have become central to me and my family mastering the art of mindfulness and “being present”.
I’d love to hear from you if you’re also on this journey – and in the meantime, I’m here to provide helpful information for dog owners, cat owners and more on how to take care of your wonderful family.
Check out the Pets & Mindful Animal Owners Blog!
- Cat Heartworm Prevention – Tips for Preventing Heartworms in Your CatProtecting cats from disease can be a difficult struggle for owners, especially when they have control over so few of the variables. Heartworm is a disease spread by mosquitoes, making it hard to control. While an owner can set up a number of ways to prevent the spread of the disease, the problem is also… Continue reading Cat Heartworm Prevention – Tips for Preventing Heartworms in Your Cat
- Is There a Pet Microchip With GPS?Pet owners are always looking for solutions to a wide variety of problems. Microchipping an animal helps solve a number of problems, ranging from finding the animal to making sure their pet is returned home as quickly as possible. A lot of pet owners find relief in knowing that there is a simple way to… Continue reading Is There a Pet Microchip With GPS?
- Why is My Dog Licking Chewing and Biting Its PawsPity the poor dog that constantly chews and bites its paws. At best this is a dog that has a serious need for some sort of entertainment; at worst, it is a dog with a serious medical problem. The responsibility of the owner is to determine what the problem is before he can solve it.… Continue reading Why is My Dog Licking Chewing and Biting Its Paws
- Do Dogs Talk to Other Dogs?We see our ability to talk as one of our defining characteristics and most powerful abilities as humans. It allows us to not merely communicate with each other, but to show our deepest thoughts, allowing for more intimate relationships. Far too many of us forget that language is not merely words, but any form of… Continue reading Do Dogs Talk to Other Dogs?
- How to Stop Destructive Chewing in Dogs?Dogs have a number of habits that need to be worked on. Dogs like to chew things in their nearby environment. It is not only a good way to keep their teeth clean and jaws strong, but it is part of how they learn about their environment, as well as hone their hunting skills. However,… Continue reading How to Stop Destructive Chewing in Dogs?
- How Much Should I Feed My Kitten or Puppy?It is a delicate time when puppies and kittens are first born. They require a lot of care, and most of that care will be concentrated on making sure that they are fed properly. This can be a difficult phase, as there are a number of things that can go wrong, but with a little… Continue reading How Much Should I Feed My Kitten or Puppy?
- Why Does My Dog Pee On My Bed?Having a dog can be one of the best things ever, but it does come with a lot of hard work and many responsibilities. One of the toughest things to do, right at the beginning when you first get your dog, is potty training. After all, you don’t want your dog to pee and poop… Continue reading Why Does My Dog Pee On My Bed?
- Why Do Dogs Like Squeaky Toys?Almost all dog owners will be familiar with the shrill sound of their pooch’s favorite squeaky toy. While the noise may be incredibly annoying and drive you a little crazy at times, there are few things that can keep your dog as content and occupied as a squeaky toy. But, why do squeaky toys provide… Continue reading Why Do Dogs Like Squeaky Toys?
- Why Do Dogs Have Tails?One of the most notable features on your dog’s body is their tail. When your dog is happy, or excited to see you, they will wag their tail, and if your dog is a larger breed then you have probably felt the full force of this body part at some point. While your dog’s tail… Continue reading Why Do Dogs Have Tails?
- Why Do Dogs Lick Your Feet?As a dog owner, you will know that these furry companions have all sorts of weird and wonderful traits. From playing with toys that squeak, to sniffing each other’s butts, dogs are lovely, but they are definitely a bit strange too. One of the strangest things that you might observe your dog doing is licking… Continue reading Why Do Dogs Lick Your Feet?
- How Often To Express Dog GlandsMaking sure we look after our dogs is at the forefront of every owner’s mind. There are vaccinations, check-ups, dental care appointments, grooming, nails, and tails. But, what about the dog’s anal glands? Expressing a dog’s glands might be an essential part of their long-term well-being. So, how do you know if your fur baby… Continue reading How Often To Express Dog Glands
- What Does It Mean When A Dog Licks YouDogs are wonderfully rewarding pets because of how naturally affectionate they are towards their owners. Whereas humans have easy to understand body language in terms of affection, such as giving our pets kisses and cuddles, dogs have a language all of their own. It’s natural for us humans to attach human feelings and emotions to… Continue reading What Does It Mean When A Dog Licks You
- How Long Do Chihuahuas Live?When I was a child, I remember hearing from a source – that I’ve since long forgotten – that smaller dogs tend to live longer than larger dogs. I came to accept that as a fact, and since I’ve always been brought up with medium sized dogs, such as King Charles Spaniels, I never got… Continue reading How Long Do Chihuahuas Live?
- How To Boil Chicken For DogsIt’s not just humans who find chicken delicious and nutritional. Rich in lean protein, omega 6, and glucosamine, chicken can have plenty of benefits for our canine companions too. Incorporating chicken into your dog’s diet can aid with dental issues, and also be a great meal for dogs with special dietary requirements or sensitive digestive… Continue reading How To Boil Chicken For Dogs
- Best Flea Collar For DogsIf you’re a dog owner then you’ve no doubt come across the enemy of all pets; the dreaded flea. Keeping your hound scratching all day long, these unwanted guests can bite, spread and live on your favorite furniture, carpet, and bedding for many, many months. Yikes! As well as the tiresome itching, these pesky parasites… Continue reading Best Flea Collar For Dogs
- Best Dog LeashWhether you’re already a dog owner or are looking forward to welcoming a fluffy friend into your home, you’ve probably fantasized about taking them for idyllic, stress-free walks. The image of strolling side-by-side with an obedient dog is a draw for many want-to-be pet owners. However, whilst this does become a reality for most dog… Continue reading Best Dog Leash
- How Many Teeth Do Dogs Have?It’s not often we look at a carnivorous beast, full view of every sharp tooth in their mouth, and think, ‘aw, what an adorable little baby!’. Despite their spiky fangs, there’s nothing scary about our furry friends! Their gorgeous smiles never fail to make even our hardest days better. But have you ever actually stopped… Continue reading How Many Teeth Do Dogs Have?
- How To Make A Dog Throw UpAs a pet owner, the last thing you want is for your furry friend to become ill. Unfortunately, it is almost inevitable: especially when they seem to want to eat everything and anything they can get their little paws on. Sometimes you can’t be careful enough, and your dog will sniff out items that you… Continue reading How To Make A Dog Throw Up
- Control Leash ReviewsDealing with an overeager and over-excitable dog that pulls on its leash is a problem many dog owners face. Not only can this behavior be dangerous for your dog but also dangerous for you and others around you. Getting a harness or leash for your dog – especially if they’re a large or medium breed… Continue reading Control Leash Reviews
- Best Training Collar For Stubborn DogsAll dogs bark to communicate with other humans and dogs, but it can become rather jarring at times. We love our furry friends, but barking at strangers incessantly can be annoying and embarrassing. We all want them to run and play when socializing with other dogs but some are particularly stubborn and awkward when it… Continue reading Best Training Collar For Stubborn Dogs
- Best Flea Shampoo For DogsFleas are a pest in your home. Not only do they become a nuisance for your dog, irritating their skin and leaving them scratching, but those horrible critters can also bite your skin, too. Once your dog starts to suffer from a flea infestation, they can be all but impossible to get rid of. Most… Continue reading Best Flea Shampoo For Dogs
- Why is my cat not eatingIt can be a worrying time when your cat or kitten shows signs of a loss of appetite. Though cats are not generally as interested in food as their canine counterparts, your feline friend ought to be eating every day in order to stay well fed and healthy. Whilst cats can develop new tastes over… Continue reading Why is my cat not eating
- Can you use bactine on dogs?Dogs are energetic and lively animals, keen to explore and interact with the world. As such, they often get into a few hairy situations and can come out a little worse for wear. Everyone knows that cleaning a wound, especially an open one, is very important to prevent infection as an infected wound can lead… Continue reading Can you use bactine on dogs?
- Can dogs eat cornbread?Dogs are capable of eating pretty much anything they can get their paws on, but whether or not they should is another question altogether. A staple food across America, and particularly in the south, cornbread is something that many dog owners may be wondering whether they can share with their four-legged friends. And, with dogs… Continue reading Can dogs eat cornbread?
- Do dogs like being hugged?One of the best, and most enjoyable, ways of showing your affection for someone can be a good old hug. Particularly in the wake of national lockdowns, being allowed to hug the ones we love again can bring us plenty of joy. But do our dogs feel the same way? Most dogs are very affectionate;… Continue reading Do dogs like being hugged?
- Is paracetamol safe for dogs?The short answer to the question; is paracetamol safe for dogs? is: no. Long answer – absolutely not. No but seriously, it is absolutely not safe to give your dog paracetamol that is meant for humans and here’s why… Paracetamol is a common painkiller which contains the active ingredient acetaminophen. In fact, paracetamol is an… Continue reading Is paracetamol safe for dogs?
- Why Do Dogs Have Whiskers?There are lots of parts of your dog’s anatomy that you might not really understand. A lot of people do not understand the purpose of their dog’s tail, and something else that a lot of people do not understand is why dogs have whiskers. Dogs, of course, are not the only creatures that have whiskers.… Continue reading Why Do Dogs Have Whiskers?
- How To Get A Dog To Take A PillDogs typically pose a bit more of a challenge to taking their meds than we do and can be likened to children in this aspect. It can be done with a bit of intuition and a lot of patience. Be persistent but remain subtle, if you are too obvious with your intentions, your pooch will… Continue reading How To Get A Dog To Take A Pill
- Why Do Dogs Like To Be Pet?Dogs. Our furry best friends. They bring us great joy and great comfort. There’s a reason they have a special place in our homes and our hearts. That reason is the love and affection that they emanate. It warms the soul and, brings a unique sense of comfort even on our darkest of days. Have… Continue reading Why Do Dogs Like To Be Pet?
- Why Are Dogs Noses Wet?If you’ve ever come into contact with your dog’s nose, then you will know that they’re quite often wet. However, as a dog owner you might have wondered: Why are dogs’ noses wet? In this article, I will cover some important information about dogs’ noses, including why they are wet. Keep reading to find out… Continue reading Why Are Dogs Noses Wet?
- Can dogs eat cherry tomatoes? Are they safe & healthy?Can dogs eat cherry tomatoes? Can dogs eat any tomatoes? And how can you be sure that your dog won’t react badly to them? First things first- if you’re ever uncertain about what you can and can’t feed your dog specifically, a safe bet is a trip to the vets. If your dog has ever… Continue reading Can dogs eat cherry tomatoes? Are they safe & healthy?